How to send and receive money through PayPal in Nigeria: is it available?
A PayPal Nigeria business account enables one to send or receive funds worldwide. It is an online payment system with safe and fast payment and money transfer services. It would help to learn how to send and receive money with PayPal in Nigeria.
Besides receiving or sending payments, you can make online purchases on various e-commerce platforms using your PayPal account. Online marketplaces like Amazon, eBay, and Alibaba accept this mode of payment.
How does a PayPal Nigeria account work?
You can only deposit money into your Paypal account, send money, shop online, and receive money. In case you are wondering about the procedure to receive money through PayPal in Nigeria, use the following guidelines:
- Open a PayPal Business Account because one cannot receive funds using a personal account.
- Select and set up your preferred payment system (Follow the instructions provided in your account).
- Send invoices or request payments from your clients through the business account.
- Your customers will then send money to your PayPal account.
- Link your bank account, credit card, or debit card to your PayPal account to make online purchases.
How to send money with PayPal to Nigeria
You can only send money if you have funds in your PayPal Business Account. Therefore, transfer money from your bank/card to your PayPal account before sending it to someone else.
How do I add money to my PayPal account with a debit card?
You can transfer money from your bank account to your PayPal account in Nigeria using these steps:
- Log into your account via the PayPal website or app.
- Navigate to Wallet and click Transfer Money.
- Select Add Money to your balance.
- Click on your balance and select Add Money.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
How can I send money to Nigeria via PayPal?
You can use the following procedure to send money with PayPal Business Account to Nigeria or from this country to other parts of the world:
- Log into your account via the PayPal website or app.
- Click Send Payment.
- Enter the recipient's PayPal email.
- Enter the amount you want to send.
- If you have many cards added to your account, choose which one to pay with.
- Click Send.
You can ask the recipient to send you an invoice, which will appear in your account. Click on the invoice and pay. If you have an active subscription such as Facebook ads, set up pre-approved payments so that PayPal automatically deducts money from your account instead of you doing it manually.
How long does it take to send money through PayPal?
Once you send money on the platform, the transfer is reviewed manually. Hence, it takes 3 to 5 business days before the system credits the amount to the recipient's account.
If you need to send money urgently, use the instant transfer option. It takes 30 minutes, but you will pay 1% of the amount transferred as a fee. The maximum fee PayPal charges for this service is $10.
How to use PayPal in Nigeria when withdrawing money
You cannot receive money with a PayPal Personal Account in Nigeria but can use it to send money and make online payments and buy items on e-commerce sites. Nevertheless, you can request funds from your customers by sending them invoices through your PayPal business account.
Link your PayPal Nigeria account to your debit/credit card or bank account to withdraw your PayPal funds to your Nigeria bank account. To do this, verify your PayPal account by linking your ATM card.
How do I withdraw money from PayPal to a Nigerian bank account?
There is no withdrawal limit for a verified PayPal account. Unverified accounts can only withdraw 500 per month. Follow the following steps to withdraw the money in Nigeria:
- Log into your PayPal account via the PayPal website or app.
- Select Withdraw Funds.
- Click From and choose your PayPal Balance.
- Click on To and choose your linked card.
- Type the amount and click Continue.
- Click on Transfer to have the money sent to your card.
How long does it take to receive a PayPal payment?
It takes a few minutes to send and receive money between PayPal accounts and 2–3 days from a bank to a PayPal account.
Are there transaction limits on PayPal?
The PayPal transfer limit is $10,000 per transaction immediately after you open an account (unverified account). After verifying your account, you have a $60,000 per transaction limit, and instant transfers have varied transfer limits depending on how your account is connected. You can send a one-time payment of up to $4,000 if you do not have a PayPal account.
Fees for transacting via PayPal in Nigeria
Sending money from your PayPal account to any part of the world is free, but receiving money has a transaction cost. PayPal will charge a conversion fee on your credit or debit card.
The recipient usually pays the fee for PayPal to convert the received funds from foreign currency to their local currency. The conversion fee changes depending on many factors, including inflation.
How to open a PayPal Business Account in Nigeria
You do not need a bank account to sign up or to receive payments through PayPal. However, you can link your PayPal account to a bank account, a debit card, or a credit card account for transferring funds.
Requirements for opening a PayPal Business Account in Nigeria
Please provide the following documents, and they should have trustworthy and accurate information. Otherwise, you will lose your account regardless of how much money is in it:
- Your legal name as per your birth certificate and bank documents.
- Your registered business name.
- Your business information.
- Your national ID card or passport (Preferably an international passport).
- A valid email address.
- A phone number.
How to open a PayPal account in Nigeria to receive money
Use the steps below for the PayPal Nigeria sign-up process:
- Visit the PayPal Nigeria website.
- Tap Open a business account.
- Enter your email address: It should not be linked with another PayPal account.
- Enter your password: Mix special characters, numbers, capital, and small case letters to create a strong password.
- Fill out the PayPal account opening form: Provide your legal first and last name, your legal business name, phone number, and address.
- Select the currency you want to receive payment in.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- The system will take you to the "Describe your business" page: Specify your business type and the product/service you offer and provide a website link (optional).
- Tap Continue and provide your personal information as requested by the system: Enter your birthday, choose your nationality (Nigerian), choose a valid means of identification (Passport, national ID, Driver’s License, Permanent Voters Card), and enter your identification number as per the document you are using.
- Provide your Home Address: Click into the Same business address check box and write the address in the text box.
- Click Submit and confirm your email: The system will redirect you to a PayPal login page and display your email address by default. Enter your valid password (used in step 4) and click Confirm Email Address to log in.
- Verify your identity: Ensure you upload and submit all the required documents, e.g., proof of address, proof of identity, and your photo.
- Link and confirm your payment channel: It can be a bank account, credit, or debit card.
How to add a debit/credit card or bank account to a PayPal account in Nigeria
You can now link your credit/debit card to your PayPal Nigeria account using these steps:
- Log into your PayPal account via the PayPal website or mobile app.
- Click Wallet on the menu bar.
- Click Link a credit or debit card or Link bank account.
- Enter the credit/debit card or bank information you wish to link to your PayPal account.
- Click Link card for credit/debit cards or Link bank account if you selected that option.
Can I link a Nigeria bank account to PayPal?
You can, but you can only link your credit card to your PayPal account in Nigeria. The system will not link your bank account if it is not a US account because PayPal users from other parts of the world can only link their cards.
There are many other platforms to receive cash online in Nigeria, including:
- Western Union
- Cash App
- Bank Wire
Log into your account and use the live chat feature from PayPal’s message centre or reach out to the PayPal care desk via 1-402-517-4519.
What is PayPal?
PayPal began operating in 1998. It is an international financial company offering money transfer services worldwide. Most of its users make or receive online payments from different parts of the world. Below is what you need to know about receiving money using a PayPal account in Nigeria.
Does PayPal work in Nigeria?
This digital money transfer service is operational in Nigeria. Most people doing online jobs for companies based abroad use it and admit it is a reputable, reliable, and convenient service.
Can I receive money with PayPal in Nigeria?
Someone in Nigeria cannot receive money using a personal PayPal account. Most people who work from home open PayPal business accounts to receive funds online in Nigeria.
How does PayPal work in Nigeria?
Most people in Nigeria link their credit/debit cards to their business PayPal accounts to receive and send money.
Is PayPal banned in Nigeria?
The service is available to all residents of Nigeria. It has not been banned.
Is PayPal available in Nigeria?
You can use PayPal in Nigeria anytime, any day.
Can I receive funds through PayPal in Nigeria?
You can, but only with a PayPal business account or a personal account linked to a US bank account.
How do I make my PayPal account valid in Nigeria?
To make your PayPal account valid, confirm your email address, password, and credit/debit cards. You should also provide proof of residence, passport, identity, and other required documents.
Where can I use PayPal in Nigeria?
You can use PayPal in any part of Nigeria.
Which bank in Nigeria uses PayPal?
Banks in Nigeria whose credit/debit cards can be linked to a PayPal account to are:
- First Bank
- Access Bank
- Diamond Bank
- WEMA Bank
- GTCO (formerly GTBank)
Which Nigerian Bank cards accept PayPal?
PayPal works with only Visa or Mastercard. You can get them at any Nigerian bank. Verve card is not accepted. Also, you should have a minimum of $2 because PayPal will charge your card for verification purposes. If PayPal rejects your Mastercard or Visa card, contact your bank because your account might be limited.
Understanding how to receive money with a PayPal Nigeria business account is important, especially if you need to request payments from clients or employers. The service is vital for those running online businesses or doing online jobs.
DISCLAIMER: This article is for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
READ ALSO: How to transfer airtime on Airtel: a comprehensive guide
Legit.ng also published a comprehensive guide on how to transfer airtime on Airtel. The Airtel Me2U service allows subscribers to share airtime free of charge.
Me2U is only applicable for Airtel to Airtel subscribers. In addition, transferring airtime on Airtel is a relatively straightforward process.