Venmo is a popular digital wallet that allows you to make and share payments with friends. Since its launch in 2009, the mobile payment service has enabled its customers to make payments online easily. As advantageous as having a Venmo profile is, maybe the time has come for you to close it. Here is how to delete Venmo account.
You may want to close Venmo account for many reasons - maybe you've found a better mobile payment service, or just want to reduce your online footprint. Whatever the reason is, here is a guide that will help you learn how to delete a Venmo account.
How to delete Venmo account on PC
At the moment, the mobile payment service allows you to delete your account from a computer alone. As such, you cannot cancel your account from a mobile device or through the app.
Before you actually delete your account, you need to transfer any funds in your profile to your bank. Alternatively, you may return the cash to the sender. This is a crucial step to take because any funds remaining in your account at the time you cancel it will not be available to you without contacting the support team.
Here are the simple steps on how to close Venmo account.
- On your PC, log in to your Venmo account
- At the bottom of your Profile section, click 'Cancel my Venmo Account'.
Is how to delete Venmo account that simple? Yes, those are the only two steps you need to follow.
Now that you know the Venmo delete account process, here is some more useful information about the Venmo payment service.
What is Venmo and how does it work?
Venmo is referred to as a peer-to-peer digital wallet that allows you to make and share payments with friends. The service works by linking to your bank account or debit card.
How does it work? To start using Venmo, you will need to create an account.
- Download the app on your mobile device
- Create an account using your email address or your Facebook. Create a secure password and verify your email address
- Link and verify a bank account
- Add friends, either by searching using their name or username or by allowing the app access to your contacts.
If you link Venmo to your Facebook, it can search through your Facebook friends to find out who is on the app.
Another way to add friends on the app is by scanning a QR code. To do this, you will have to open the app's code scanner and point it at the QR code on the other person's phone screen. Once the QR code has been scanned, the app will take you to their profile page, where you can add them as a friend.
How do I remove friends on Venmo?
To remove a friend, all you need to do is to navigate to your friend's profile. On the web, you'll see a "Remove friend" icon on the right-hand side of the page. In the mobile app, click the "Friends" checkmark > Unfriend, and that's it!
How do I block someone on Venmo?
Would you like to block someone? Here are the steps to follow:
- Log in to the app on your iPhone or Android device
- Tap the"☰" icon at the top of the app
- Tap "Search People" to find the user that you want to block
- Once you're on their profile page, tap the three circles in the upper right corner of the screen
- You should see an option to block the user in red.
For this to take effect, you will need to logout of the app and back in after blocking the other user.
Once you block a user, they will not show up in your Venmo network, and they will not be able to search for you in the app or vice versa. Furthermore, the user you have blocked will not be able to send or request any payments from you.
Why would Venmo deactivate my account?
Venmo may freeze a user's profile, reverse certain payments and/or request certain documentation if flags are raised due to activity that seems to be against the service's User Agreement or widely accepted credit card policies.
Where can I find my Venmo code?
To find your Venmo code or scan someone else’s code, tap the “Scan” button at the bottom of the screen (if you have that button), or tap the "☰" icon at the top of the app. There, you can see your Venmo code next to your profile picture.
How can I share my Venmo code?
When you open the scanner and tap “My code,” you’ll see your code next to your profile picture. Here you’ll also have options to share your code via text message, email, printing, and more.
What are the Venmo account fees?
Is the mobile payment service as cheap as it claims to be? Here are the fees incurred for different actions:
- Account set up - $0.00
- Monthly fees - $0.00
- Online purchases - $0.00
- Sending money to people (using your credit card) - 3%
- Transfer from bank acc. - $0.00.
- Receive money from other users - $0.00
- Sending money to people (using your balance/debit card/bank) - $0.00
- Receive merchant refund - $0.00
- Sending money to people with the Venmo Purchase Program (using your balance/debit card/bank) - 3%
- Electronic withdrawal (standard) - $0.00. No fee to transfer money from your Venmo to your bank account with the standard option. The money is typically available in 1-3 business days.
- Electronic withdrawal (Instant Transfer) - 1% (minimum $0.25 fee, maximum $10 fee). There is a fee to transfer money from your account to your eligible linked debit card or bank account with the Instant Transfer option. The money is typically available in minutes.
- Customer service (automated) - $0.00
- Customer service (live agent) - $0.00
- Real-time alerts - $0.00. No fee to receive real-time alerts on your phone. Standard text message & data rates may apply.
- Statements - $0.00
- Transaction declines due to insufficient funds - $0.00
- Venmo card acquisition - $0.00
- ATM withdrawal (in-network) - $0.00
- ATM withdrawal (out-of-network) -$2.50. There's a fee for non-MoneyPass ATM withdrawals. You may be charged an additional amount by the ATM owner even if you don't complete a transaction
- ATM balance inquiry - $0.00. No fee to check your balance at an ATM. You may be charged a fee by the ATM owner
- Over-the-counter cash withdrawal (bank and other financial institution) - $3.00. $3.00 per signature withdrawal if a signature is required to obtain cash. You can withdraw cash at the counter inside participating bank branches or other financial institutions. The fee is charged per signature withdrawal if a signature is required to obtain cash
- Automatic reloads (using your bank acc.) - $0.00. No fee for reloading your balance when your balance is insufficient to cover a purchase made with your Venmo card
- Card replacement - $0.00. No fee to replace your lost or stolen card
Also, note that Venmo is not FDIC insured and that the service has no overdraft/credit feature
Now you know how to delete a Venmo account and are aware of more details concerning the digital wallet.