It is still possible to apply for some Unilorin courses. For example, the application for remedial courses is rumored to be re-opened. There is still time to learn about Unilorin courses and their cut off mark requirements, and maybe you would enter its educational program in 2018.
What is the list of Unilorin courses? What are the main cut off marks? We’d like to share this information with all Nigerians who still wish to study this year, but didn’t succeed or haven’t applied to get a degree in 2018.
Unilorin courses and cut off marks
Nigerians who apply for JAMB can also enter the Unilorin, but they have to get a particular score (cut off marks) to increase their chance to study here. This educational institution prefers when pupils get 180 or more points on their exams (for some disciplines, this figure starts at 220).
Below are Unilorin courses and their cut-off marks:
- Fisheries (Aquaculture) – cut off mark is 180
- Agriculture – cut off mark is 180
- Architecture – cut off points are 180
- Food Science – cut off mark is 180
- Home Economics – cut off points are 180
- Wildlife (Forestry) – cut off mark is 180
- All languages (English, French, Arabic, Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo) – cut off marks are 180
- International Studies (History) – cut off points are 180
- Linguistics – cut off mark is 180
- Religion Studies (Islam, Christianity) – 180
- Performing Arts – cut off points are 180
- Social Studies – cut off mark is 180
- Education (Health, Counsellor, Technology, Geography, Economics, Business, Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics etc.) cut off points are 180
- Computer Science – cut off points are 180-200
- Adult & Primary Education Studies – cut off marks are 180
- Educational Management – cut off mark is 180
- Engineering (Biosystems, Water Resources, Metallurgical, Biomedical) – 180 points
- Engineering (Mechanical, Computer, Civil, Electrical, Chemical) – cut off mark is 200
- Law – 220-240 points
- Geo-informatics (Surveying) – cut off mark is 180
- Estate Management – cut off points are 180
- Mass Communications – cut off mark is 220
- Microbiology and Bio-chemistry – cut off points are 200
- Science (Information, Library) – cut off marks are 180
- Physiology and Anatomy – cut off points are 200
- Personnel Management – cut off mark is 180
- Nursing Science – cut off points are 210
- Plant Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Zoology, Psychology, Statistics, Industrial Chemistry, Geophysics, Geology – cut off marks are 180
- Security Studies (Criminology) – cut off point is 190
- Political Science – cut off mark is 200
- Finances – cut off points are 200
- Accounting – cut off mark is 200
- Business Administration – cut off point is 200
- Social Work and Public Administration – cut off mark is 200
- Economics – cut off point is 210
As you can see, it is important to score at least 180-220 to be on the safe side when applying to this higher educational institution.
Besides, the University pays attention to your O level achievements. Those who have more A’s than B’s or C’s have higher marks and more chances to become a student. So pay attention to both JAMB and O results when you are planning to be accepted by your preferred faculty.
By the way, the requirements for applying for remedial courses are different from regular courses. Keep reading to learn more about this issue.
What are remedial courses?
Different educational institutions offer main and remedial programs. The main program offers an opportunity to apply for bachelor, master, and other degrees. Remedial courses are designed for students who wish to participate in a pre-degree program that lasts for up to 8 months.
The remedial application form was closed in early January, however, it has been re-opened at the end of February and is still available for those who are happy to pay 15,000 Naira to apply and possibly be accepted into the 2018 program.
READ ALSO: Top 100 Best Universities in Nigeria in 2018
List of Unilorin remedial courses
It is worth to mention that you cannot apply to all the main courses. Only a selection of particular courses is accessible by ‘remedial’ students. Here are the main Unilorin cut off mark and requirements for being admitted into this year’s programme:
- Arts classes – GCE or SSCE with Credit level grades (the number of successful subjects is 5, and 2 of them should be from Art) plus UTME 180
- Agriculture class – SSCE/GCE at Credit level (the good grades should be from Chemistry, English language, Physics, Mathematics and Biology or Agricultural science)
- Engineering & Technology program – GCE/SSCE Credit level plus 2017-2018 UTME/JAMB at 180 points or more (it is important to successfully bypass exams in Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics)
- Environmental Sciences classes – GCE/ SSCE and JAMB/UTME with the minimum of 180 cut off points (Mathematics, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and English language)
- Life Sciences program – GCE/SSCE and JAMB/UTME with at least 180 cut off mark (Mathematics, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and English language)
- Physical Sciences & Science Education remedial classes – GCE/SSCE and JAMB/UTME with at least 180 cut off points (Mathematics, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and English language)
- Technology Education & Educational Technology courses – GCE/SSCE (Mathematics, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and English language)
- It is important to receive Credit grades in two subjects (Mathematics and English language) in order to be eligible for joining most of the Ilorin’s programs.
- The GCE and SSCE exams should be controlled by NECO/WAEC or NABTEB.
- The 2018 remedial program lasts for 2 semesters (this is also 1 academic session).
- The courses are mainly opened to Nigerians who live in Kogi State, Sokoto State, Niger State, Plateau territory and other ‘Catchment’ areas of Unilorin.
- All studies are based in Kwara State.
You can still apply through the university site https://www.unilorin.edu.ng/ or follow the updates on the Ilorin’s Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/UniversityOfIlorin.
READ ALSO: When will Unilorin admission list be out?