Did Edo Govt Ban Davido From Entering State? Information Commissioner Speaks Out
- An aide to Edo Governor Monday Okpebholo declared that Davido had been banned from performing in the state
- The supposed ban claim followed a public dispute between Davido and the governor over comments about Osun Governor Ademola Adeleke
- Information Commissioner Kassim Afegbua released a statement on Friday, August 21, distancing the Edo government from the aide's remarks
PAY ATTENTION: Mark Legit.ng as a preferred source, and our content will appear higher in your Google feed!
Legit.ng journalist Ridwan Adeola Yusuf has over nine years of experience covering politics, elections, public affairs, and governance in Nigeria and Africa.
Benin City, Edo state - The Edo government has denied claims that Afrobeat star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has been banned from performing in the state, saying the person who made the declaration was "an enemy of Edo state."
As reported by The Punch, Kassim Afegbua, commissioner of information in Edo, issued the denial in a statement on Friday, August 21, after reports emerged that a senior aide to Governor Monday Okpebholo had publicly declared Davido unwelcome in the state.

Source: Twitter
Edo governor's aide says Davido is banned
PM News also noted the Edo government's official position.
Recall that Kassy Chukwu, who serves as the governor's senior special assistant on digital media, made the controversial declaration in a video shared on YouTube by Peniel TV International Benin City on Thursday, August 20.
Chukwu said Davido had been banned from performing in Edo for the remainder of Okpebholo's time in office, citing what he described as disrespectful remarks the singer made about the governor and his family.
"You have been banned from coming to Edo state to perform. We don't want to see you in Edo again," Chukwu said in the video.
The row began after Okpebholo publicly criticised Osun state Governor Ademola Adeleke, who is Davido's uncle, in the lead-up to the August 15 governorship election. Davido responded by sharing what appeared to be the governor's WAEC result on his Instagram Story. When asked about the post in a subsequent interview, the singer said he saw no reason to apologise.

Read also
Just in: Edo governor's aide bans Davido from performing in Edo, “You posted Okpebholo’s result”
Edo government distances itself from 'ban'
The state government moved quickly to separate itself from Chukwu's remarks. In his statement, Afegbua said Edo was open to all people, regardless of their political or personal affiliations.
"Our enemies are at it again; we did not ban Davido from entering Edo state. The proclaimer of that ban is an enemy of Edo state; an impostor, and a fraud," the statement read.
Afegbua added that should Davido wish to perform in Edo in the future, the government would be willing to work with him. He also noted that the singer has a personal connection to the state, as his late mother hailed from Edo.

Source: Instagram
"Davido is one of our illustrious sons, whose mother hails from Edo state; he's exemplary, and we are pleased to associate with him," the statement said.
The commissioner described whatever was said during the Osun election campaign period as "purely politics and nothing more," and praised Davido as one of Nigeria's foremost global ambassadors in music.
"As a government, we are pleased with his conduct, commitment and calculated conquest in the music industry. Indeed, we look forward to him being awarded a Grammy title," the statement concluded.
Read more on Davido
- DJ Tunez takes sides in Wande Coal and Davido's feud, fans drag him online
- Davido reacts unexpectedly after being asked about Wizkid on live TV interview
Cleric speaks on Davido’s Osun role
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that Apostle Eugene Ogu, a former national security director of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN), called on Nigerian youths to take a cue from Davido whose vocal support for his uncle during the 2026 Osun state governorship election drew national attention.
Ogu commended Davido for showing courage and civic responsibility, and urged authorities and Nigerians to guarantee his safety following his public campaign involvement.
Source: Legit.ng

