For a human being to perfect a skill or craft, they must put in plenty of practice hours. Early exposure to one's field of interest is one of the best ways of nurturing young talent. Jon Cryer is one of the lucky people who got the necessary support and exposure to his area of interest at a young age. Today, he can easily connect with his audience, has thick skin and is always updated about the trends and events in the entertainment industry.
Jon Cryer was born on the 16th of April 1965 in New York City, United States of America. His full name is Jonathan Niven Cryer. Who is Jon Cryer? He is a talented American television director, comedian, and actor. Aries is his star sign, and his ancestry is mixed European. He was born into a family of public figures who exposed him to the film and television industry at a young age. Currently, Jon Cryer age is 54 years.
- Name: Jonathan Niven Cryer (commonly known as Jon Cryer)
- Age: 54 years
- Date of birth: 16th of April 1965
- Place of birth: New York City, United States of America
- Nationality: American
- Zodiac sign: Aries
- Ethnicity: Mixed European
- Height: 5 feet 9 inches (175 centimetres/ 1.75 metres)
- Weight: 74 kilogrammes (163 lbs)
- Hair colour: Dark brown
- Eye colour: Blue
- Sexual orientation: Heterosexual (straight)
- Father: Donald David Cryer
- Mother: Gretchen Cryer
- Grandfather: Rev. Donald W. Cryer
- Siblings: Robin & Shelly
- Spouse: Sarah Trigger (1999 - 2004), Lisa Joyner (2007 to date)
- Children: Charlie Austin, Daisy Cryer
- Alma mater: Stagedoor Manor Performing Arts Training Centre, Bronx High School of Science, Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London
- Profession: Television director, comedian, actor
Jon Cryer family background
The comedian's mother is Gretchen Cryer. She is a seasoned songwriter, playwright, singer, and actress. His father is Donald David Cryer. Donald is a singer and actor who was originally trained to be a minister. His grandfather was a famous Methodist minister named Rev. Donald W. Cryer. Jon has two siblings. Their names are Shelly and Robin.
When Jon was 12 years old, he was confident that he wanted to pursue a career in acting. He opened up about this dream to his mother, Gretchen. Gretchen supported her son but also thought that he needed a backup career. She suggested plumbing.
The actor enrolled at the Stagedoor Manor Performing Arts Training Centre for acting classes. He took the classes over the summer season. In 1983, he graduated from the Bronx High School of Science. Although his mother wanted him to go to college, Jon chose not to. Instead, he enrolled for a short programme at the London-based Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
Jon Cryer height and measurements
Jon has a slim and attractive body build. He stands at a height of 5 feet 9 inches (175 centimetres/ 1.75 metres). He weighs about 74 kilogrammes (163 lbs). He has dark brown hair and blue eyes. His nerdy physical appearance and dimpled face are two of his distinctive features.
Jon started acting when he was still very young. His debut acting role was in a Broadway play whose title was Torch Song Trilogy. He portrayed the character of David and was selected for the part as a replacement for Matthew Broderick whom he resembled. A short while later, he was chosen as Broderick's replacement in Brighton Beach Memoirs.
Jon Cryer young life as a professional actor started taking shape after he was cast in the comedy, No Small Affair. In this comedy movie, he played the leading role of Charles Cummings. His excellent performance opened new acting opportunities. Since then, he has featured in many films and television shows.
Jon Cryer movies
The movies that this actor has starred in so far include the following;
- No Small Affair (1984): He portrayed the character of Charles Cummings. This was his first time to get a leading role.
- Noon Wine (1985): He acted as the teenager Herbert.
- O.C. and Stiggs (1985): He portrayed the character of Randall Schwab Jr.
- Pretty in Pink (1986): He acted as Phil "Duckie" Dale.
- Morgan Stewart's Coming Home (1987): He was Morgan in this film.
- Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987): He acted as Lenny Luthor in this movie.
- Dudes (1987): He portrayed the character of Grant in the film.
- Hiding Out (1987): He featured in this film as Andrew Morenski and Max Hauser.
- Penn & Teller Get Killed (1989): He acted as the frat boy.
- Hot Shots! (1991): He portrayed the character of Jim "Wash Out" Pfaffenbach.
- The Waiter (1993): He featured in this film as Tommy Kazdan.
- Heads (1993): He acted as Guy Franklin.
- The Pompatus of Love (1996): He appeared as Mark in this movie. He also got writing credits.
- Cannes Man (1996): He appeared in the film as himself.
- Plan B (1997): He featured in the movie in the character of Stuart Winer.
- Went to Coney Island on a Mission from God... Be Back by Five (1998): He featured as Daniel. He also got credits both as a writer and producer of this movie.
- Holy Man (1998): He featured in the character of Barry.
- Glam (2001): He was Jimmy Pells in this film.
- The Metro Chase (2003): He was a voice actor in this film. He was the voice of Richard Pig.
- Tortured (2008): He portrayed the character of Brian.
- Weather Girl (2009): He was Charles in this movie.
- Shorts: The Adventures of the Wishing Rock (2009): He featured as Bill Thompson.
- Stay Cool (2009): He portrayed the character of Javier.
- Due Date (2010): He had a cameo role in this film where he featured as Alan Harper.
- Backwards (2013): He acted as Dean Morris.
- Hit by Lightning (2014): He portrayed the character of Ricky Miller.
- Big Time Adolescence (2019): He featured in this film in the character of Reuben Harris.
In addition to the above movies, the actor has also starred in many television shows. These are;
- Amazing Stories (1986): He featured on this show as Phil in the episode, Miscalculation.
- Cinemax Comedy Experiment (1988): He appeared as himself in the episode, Rap Master Ronnie: A Report Car.
- The Famous Teddy Z (1989- 1990): He had a recurring role in this show. He acted as Teddy Zakalokis in 20 episodes.
- Partners (1995-1996): He was Bob in 22 episodes.
- The Outer Limits (1996): He portrayed the character of Trevor McPhee in the episode, Vanishing Act.
- It's Good to Be King (1997): He featured in this show as Mort.
- Dharma & Greg (1997): He acted as Brian in the episode, Shower the People You Love with Love.
- Getting Personal (1998): He featured as Sam Wagner in the episode, Sam I Am. He also produced it.
- Hercules: The Animated Series (1998): He featured in the episode, Hercules and the Underworld Takeover, as the voice of the winged wolves.
- Mr. Show with Bob and David (1998): He was Duckie in the episode, It's Perfectly Understandishable.
- Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place (1998): He starred as Justin in the episode, Two Guys, a Girl, and a Thanksgiving.
- The Trouble with Normal (2000- 2001): He had a recurring role in the show where he featured as Zack Mango.
- Family Guy (2001): He was a voice actor in one episode. Its title was There's Something About Paulie.
- Andy Richter Controls the Universe (2002): In the episode, Gimme a C, Jon acted as Lemuel Praeger.
- The Practice (2002): He portrayed the character of Terry Pender.
- Becker (2003): He acted as Roger in this show.
- Hey Joel (2003): He was the voice of Joel Stein in four episodes. These were Dark Week, Judgment Day, Tattoos and Taboos, and Dream.
- Stripperella (2003): He was a voice actor in this television show. He voiced different characters. He was Dave in The Bridesmaid, Clifton in Beauty and the Obese: Part 1 and Clifford in Beauty and the Obese: Part 2.
- Two and a Half Men (2013- 2015): He starred in this television series as Alan Harper. This was a leading role in which he featured in 262 episodes. He was the director of three episodes of this award-winning series.
- Danny Phantom (2005- 2006): He was the voice of Freakshow in two episodes
- American Dad! (2006): He was the voice of Quacky.
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2008): He appeared as himself in an uncredited cameo role.
- Hannah Montana (2010- 2011): He featured in this show as Kenneth Truscott.
- Husbands (2012): He acted as Vic Del Rey in the episodes, A Better Movie of What We're Like and The Straightening.
- The Cleveland Show (2013): He had a voice role in Fist and the Furious.
- Mom (2013- 2016): He acted as a customer.
- NCIS (2015- 2016): He featured as Dr. Cyril Taft, the navy surgeon.
- The Ranch (2016- 2017): He portrayed the character of Bill Jensen.
- Lady Dynamite (2016): He featured in the show as himself.
- Ryan Hansen Solves Crimes on Television (2017-2019): He featured severally on the show as himself.
- Justice League Action (2017): He was the voice actor for the character of Felix Faust.
- Robot Chicken (2018): He voiced the characters Ziggy and Brainy Smurf.
- Will & Grace (2018): He appeared as himself in the episode, Kid 'N Play.
- Drop the Mic (2018): He appeared as himself in the episode, Odell Beckham Jr. vs. Shawn Mendes/ Molly Ringwald vs. Jon Cryer.
- Who Do You Think You Are? (2018): He appeared as himself.
- Supergirl (2019- present): He is currently starring in this television show in the recurring role of Lex Luthor.
Jon Cryer net worth
The actor has had a fruitful career. He is always grateful to his parents for the support, encouragement, and exposure that they gave him. In his different acting roles, Jon has earned an undisclosed amount of money for his work.
In the award-winning show, Two and a Half Men, the role of Alan Harper made him one of the highest-paid television actors in Hollywood at the time. He had a salary of $650,000 per show. Today, his estimated net worth is $65 million.
Nominations and awards
The actor has been in the film and television industry for over three decades now. He has, over time, perfected his acting skills after putting in plenty of rehearsal hours. As a result, he is now able to assume different characters without much strain. His excellent portrayal of various characters has earned him many nominations and awards. These are;
Primetime Emmy awards
- In 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2011, he was nominated for the award of Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series for his work on Two and a Half Men. He won this award in 2009.
- In 2012, he won the award of Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series for portraying the character of Alan Harper in the television series, Two and a Half Men.
Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, United States
- In 2019, he was nominated for the Saturn Award for Best Guest Performance in a Television Series for his role in Supergirl.
Austin Film Festival
- In 1998, he won the Audience Award, alongside Richard Schenkman, for their roles in Went to Coney Island on a Mission from God... Be Back by Five. Richard was the director and writer.
Indie Series Awards
- In 2013, Jon won the Best Guest Appearance (Comedy) ISA award for his role in Husbands.
Screen Actors Guild Awards
- In 2012, he was nominated for the award of Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series for his role on Two and a Half Men.
Teen Choice Awards
- In 2019, he was nominated for the Choice TV: Villain award for his work in Supergirl.
TV Land Awards
- In 2009, he won the Future Classic Award for his work in Two and a Half Men. He shared the award with producer Mark Burg, creator Chuck Lorre, and a few other people.
Walk of Fame
- On the 19th of September 2011, he won a Star on the Walk of Fame at 6922 Hollywood Blvd.
- In 1999, he won the Low Budget – Theatrical Gold award for his role in Went to Coney Island on a Mission from God... Be Back by Five. He shared it with Richard Schenkman.
Relationships and marriage
In 1984, he dated actress Demi Moore. The two grew close on the set of No Small Affair. Later, the actor dated Sarah Trigger, a British actress. The relation led to marriage in 1999. He and Sarah bore a son, Charlie Austin, in 2000. Unfortunately, the couple got divorced in 2004.
In February 2004, the actor announced his intention of marrying Lisa Joyner. The couple got married in June of the same year. They held a private wedding ceremony in Mexico. In 2009, the couple adopted a daughter named Daisy. She is now ten years old. Jon Cryer wife is a producer and actress.
Is Jon Cryer gay?
No, he is not. His sexual orientation is straight as his dating and marriage history reveals. Jon Cryer gay rumours began when he was in high school. Although he did not address the matter, he knew that his fellow students assumed that he was gay.
The gay speculations continued in his adulthood. In 2012, Molly Ringwald, a Pretty in Pink co-star, claimed that Cryer was secretly gay. The actor came out to dispel her words and claimed that he merely identified with Duckie's character on the show.
When the actor met his current wife, he took six weeks to make a move. Although he was attracted to her, he did not express himself. Joyner initially thought that he was her new gay best friend. Eventually, he kissed her, and their romantic relationship blossomed.
Jon has a Facebook page with over 20.2k likes. He also has a Twitter account with at least 257K followers. He is more active on Twitter, where he often updates his fans about the ongoing activities in his life. He also openly talks about his political views. He does not support Donald Trump's leadership.
Recently, Demi Moore released her book. She talked about Jon losing his virginity to her. The revelation stirred online debate, especially after the actor came forward to rubbish the claims. According to him, Moore did not take away his virginity. He was just young and poor in bed at the time. Below are a few comments on what people have to say on this controversial matter;
Some were not happy with Demi:
Some just do not care at all:
Trust netizens to come at you whenever they can:
All in all, many people were displeased that Demi chose to air this piece of information:
Jon also had something to say:
What a gentleman he is:
Jon Cryer is a famous and talented American actor who is best known as Alan Harper on Two and a Half Men. He has also starred in numerous television shows and movies throughout his acting career. He grew up in a family of entertainers, so he was exposed to the industry at a young age. Besides acting, he is a loving husband and father.