The Benue State University, Makurdi was established on December 27th, 1991. It was a culmination of decades of sustained efforts by successive administration, since the creation of the state in 1976, to address an educational in balance, the roots of which can be traced to as far back as the Colonial period.
Benue state was created in 1976 and by 1980 the civilian executive governor of the state; Aper Aku had expressed the desire of his administration to establish a university.
In 1982, the Benue State University of Technology was established by the state government. This establishment prompted the then President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Alhaji Shehu Shagari to announce the immediate take-over of the Benue State University of Technology and the setting-up of more of such universities in other parts of Nigeria.
READ ALSO: Facts about Benue state and their languages
The institution took off nineteen years ago during the tenure of late Rev. Fr. Moses Orshio Adasu as Executive Governor of Benue State. Adasu, therefore became the first Visitor of the University.
Since its inception, BSU has established itself in the annals of Nigeria’s educational history as a respected centre of academic excellence having won major academic laurels in different fields over the years.
The school's philosophy is to seek and mold the total being by developing the mind and imparting both theoretical and practical knowledge that encourage self reliance in the individual.
The programmes of study and training have therefore been designed to assist the individual to understand, exploit, and if need be change his environment.
Below are 7 major facts about the university:
1. Benue State University was established by the Benue State Government with the enactment of the Benue State University Edict No. 1 of 1991.
2. The university which took off in the 1992/93 academic year with four faculties, now has eight namely, Arts, Education, Science, Social Sciences, Law, Management Sciences, Basic and Allied Medical Sciences (BAMS).
3. The management of Benue State University consists of seven Principal Officers viz: The Vice Chancellor, Prof. Moses Msugh Kembe, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration) - Prof. JuliusBegha Ashiko and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) - Prof. Joel Obo Eriba.
Others include, the Provost of the College of Health Sciences, Prof. Simeon Adelani Adebisi. Also the University Librarian, Prof. John Agada.
4. The university has also had four Chancellors so far; the Pioneer Chancellor was (Dr) T.Y. Danjuma (1994-2004) while the second was Prof. Jubril Aminu (2004 – 2009) the third was Alhaji (Dr.) Umaru Mutallab, CON (2010-2015).
The incumbent Chancellor, HRH Justice (DR) Lawal Hassan Gummi (Rtd), OFR, Sarkin Mafara Gummi was installed in February, 2015.
5. In the same vein, the university has had four Pro-Chancellors and Chairmen of Governing Council since inception, with Chief Edwin Ogbu of blessed memory as Pioneer Chairman of Council.
6. The institution has had four Vice-Chancellors from inception to date with Prof Charles Gbilekaa Vajime as Pioneer Vice-Chancellor (1992-2000). Prof. David Ker (OON) became the second Vice-Chancellor from 3rd August, 2000 to 17th November, 2005 while the 3rd Vice-Chancellor, Prof Akase P. Sorkaa was appointed on 8th November, 2005.
7. The university was adjudged as the best state owned University in the 2003/2004 academic year by the National Universities Commission (NUC) during which period the then Vice-Chancellor, Prof. David Ker was also acclaimed the best performing Vice-Chancellor of State-owned Universities by the NUC. BSU also won, in 2006, the best Governing Council of State-owned Universities by the NUC.
Contacts for the university include
Vice-Chancellor: Email - email@example.com
Registrar: Email- firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Officer: Email - email@example.com
Information Unit: Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Market Survey: Check out what traders said at Nigeria's food basket - on Legit.ng TV.