Breaking: ICPC Storms El-Rufai's Residence, Details Emerge

Breaking: ICPC Storms El-Rufai's Residence, Details Emerge

The operatives of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) have reportedly stormed the residence of the immediate past governor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, at Aso Drive in Abuja.

Muyiwa Adekeye, the media aide to the former governor, announced the development in a terse statement on Tuesday, February 19.

The ICPC has reportedly search the residence of the former governor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai.
ICPC reportedly searched the residence of Nasir El-Rufai Photo Credit: @elrufai
Source: Twitter

The former governor's aide explained that Ubong Akpan, El-Rufai’s lawyer, condemned the action “as unlawful, and a clear violation of legal procedures and fundamental rights”.

On his arrival in Nigeria, the former governor reported to the office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). He was released on bail on Wednesday, February 18, but was rearrested by the Department of State Service (DSS), who handed him over to the ICPC on Thursday.

In the interview before visiting the EFCC office, the former governor alleged that the National Security Adviser (NSA) ordered his arrest following what he described as a failed move to arrest and detain him at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, on Thursday, February 12.

Read also

Breaking: Wike declares fresh work free day in Abuja, gives reason

The chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) also alleged that ICPC used the DSS to carry out the action. When asked how he knew that the NSA ordered his arrest, the former governor said he and others listened to his conversation. His statement reads:

“He made the call because we listened to their calls. The government thinks that they are the only ones who listen to calls. But we also have our ways.”

However, the latest development has started generating reactions from Nigerians. Below are some of their comments:

Sammie Adeleye said the former governor lost respect for tapping the NSA call:

"Person wey tap NSA call need nt to be respected, all right lost the moment he made that statement."

Zana urged the former governor to stand his ground:

Read also

ICPC picks up Nasir El-Rufai after EFCC, DSS detentions

"He should stand his guards so that nothing is planted in his residence. This persecution has brought out the hero in El-Rufai."

Jahmal decried lawbreaking in Nigeria:

"The Federal Government of Buhari broke the law, we clapped. This current is doing they are clapping. Tomorrow is pregnant. Lawyer, chop your money."

Ugochi Dave accused the former governor of corruption:

"Too late. The thief already stashed up d monies all across d middleeast n Europe. Kaduna has some tooo in the malls, shops, and plazas built for his numerous wives. Mills and the companies he partnered with. And in the but of abj girls where he slept half a year long every 4, 8 years! Radarada."

You can read the full statement of the ex-governor's aide on X here:

Source: Legit.ng

Authors:
Bada Yusuf avatar

Bada Yusuf (Politics and Current Affairs Editor) Yusuf Amoo Bada is an accomplished writer with over 5 years of experience in journalism and writing, he is also politics and current affairs editor with Legit.ng. He holds B.A in Literature from OAU, and Diploma in Mass Comm. He has obtained certificates in Google's Advance Digital Reporting, News Lab workshop. He previously worked as an Editor with OperaNews. Best Editor of the Year for Politics and Current Affairs Desk (2023) by Legit.ng. Contact: bada.yusuf.amoo@corp.legit.ng