- Crisis has erupted in Plateau again as gunmen invaded a community in the state, killing 10 people and injuring several others
- Youth leaders in the community say the gunmen also set ablaze houses owned by community members
- The crisis in the state has festered for more than a decade taking religious, communal and sometimes, banditry dimensions
Bassa - The Punch newspaper is reporting that gunmen have attacked Te'egbe community in Bassa local government area of Plateau state and killed several people.
According to the report, several houses belonging to the natives were also set ablaze by the gunmen while several others sustained injuries during the attack which occurred in the early hours of Friday, November 26.
A spokesman for the Miango Youth Development Association, Nuhu Bitrus, confirmed the attack, saying search and rescue operations for the victims were still ongoing.
Killing of 322 police, 642 soldiers, indicate we are in very difficult circumstances, Northern Elders lament
Almost a dozen residents feared killed in Plateau latest crisis
He added that so far, 10 persons who were shot dead by the gunmen had been evacuated to the mortuary.
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
“Right now, we have just counted the bodies of ten persons who were shot dead by the attackers. They are being taken to the mortuary. We also discovered three persons who sustained gunshot injuries.
“Our people are still searching for more victims because the damage done to the community is too much. We will let you know when we are done with the search and rescue operation.”
Increasing rate of attacks in Plateau communities heightens tension
The Guardian newspaper had earlier reported that two persons were shot dead in Ancha community in the same area on Tuesday, November 24.
The deceased, Daniel James, 32, and Zakwe Deba, 35 were said to have been ambushed by unknown assailants as they returned home from a function.
A community leader in the area, Nuhu Bitrus, who confirmed the incident, said they were shot at close range and died on the spot, while the attackers fled into the bush.
Meanwhile, a coalition of 76 Non-governmental Organisations and Civil Society Activists have knocked the intelligence arms of the military and the Department of State Security Services (DSS) for continued attacks on military formations and other infrastructure of the state by terrorists.
The activists also lamented over the kidnapping and robbery by bandits, saying the attacks were not only a setback to the war against insecurity but a blatant embarrassment to the armed forces and Nigeria in general.
The groups particularly made reference to the recent kidnapping of travellers in broad daylight along Abuja-Kaduna road, an attack in Borno that resulted in the killing of a General and three other soldiers, and several others as clear instances of intelligence failure.
In a related development, the Katsina state government has said bandits have devised new strategies aimed at circumventing the impact of the security challenges containment order, by acquiring walkie-talkies.
The Secretary to the Katsina state government, Dr Mustapha Inuwa, on Thursday, November 18 at a press briefing organised to give an update on the security situation in the state said:
“A recent and most worrisome move by the criminals is the observed acquisition of Radio Frequency Walkie-Talkie transceivers by the bandits, which they have started using. Security agencies are however on their trail with a view to bringing the malpractice to an end.”