Chris Rock is an American comedian, actor, writer, producer, and director. He began his career as a stand-up comedian and later on progressed into acting and producing. So what is Chris Rock net worth?
Rock has been the face of comedy for many years and has appeared in films, mostly supporting roles.
As a comedian, he covers various genres, including black culture, human sexuality, racism and race relations, topical sociopolitical issues, and marriage.
Who is Chris Rock?
Chris Rock was born as Christopher Julius Rock in Andrews, South Carolina, on February 7, 1965, to Julius Rock and Rosalie. He was raised in Brooklyn, New York, and later moved to Bedford, Stuyvesant.
He schooled at James Madison High School in Brooklyn, New York. He, later on, dropped from school due to bullying.
What is Chris Rock net worth?
How much is Chris Rock worth? Chris Rock net worth is estimated to be approximately $60 million. Coming from a humble background, Chris has gained much fame through his handwork.
Chris is consistently one of the highest-paid comedians in the world.
According to Celebrity Net Worth, he earned approximately $60 million between June 2016 to June 2017.
From June 2017 to June 2018, his earnings decreased to $30. This resulted from a divorce settlement with his wife that made him lose tens of millions of dollars(reportedly as much as $40 million).
Chris Rock house
In 1994 while working on SNL, Chris bought a home in Brooklyn, New York. He lived there for two years before moving to the suburbs with his new wife, Malaak.
He proceeded to rent the Brooklyn property for $7,950 per month, which was later raised to $15,000.The home was later on put on market for $3.35 million.
After the divorce, Malaak continued living in the family's 13,000 square-foot mansion in Alpine, New Jersey, which they bought in 2001 for $3 million.
- Dodge Durango
Career as a comedian
Chris started doing standup comedy in 1984. He released his first comedy album in 1991.
Rock’s popularity grew, and he began featuring on TV shows, including as host of 1997, 1999, and 2003 MTV Video Music Awards. He followed up with three HBO comedy specials.
Between 1997 and 2000, he created a comedy talk show which ran for five seasons.
On October 30, 2016, Netflix announced the release of two new stand-up specials from Rock, for which he was reportedly paid $40 million ($20 million per special).
The first one, Chris Rock: Tamborine, was released on February 14, 2018, his first concert special in ten years.
After his breakthrough, he started starring in various shows, which made him the most acclaimed and successful comedian in the industry.
Chris got in big-screen success in the late 90's when he started receiving significant roles in films.
- 1991: Born Suspect
- 1997: Roll with the New
- 1999: Bigger & Blacker
- 2004: Never Scared
- 2018: Tamborine
- 1996: Chris Rock: Bring the Pain
- 1999: Chris Rock: Bigger & Blacker
- 2004: Chris Rock: Never Scared
- 2018: Chris Rock: Kill the Messenger
- 2018: Chris Rock: Tamborine
Eddie Murphy saw Chris act in a nightclub and decided to give him a role in Beverly Hills Cop II. Eddie befriended and mentored the comedian into acting.
He then began appearing in other various films and shows. Chris also went behind the scenes, demonstrating his skills as a scriptwriter, director, and voiceover actor.
He has shared screen space with several celebrated Hollywood actors and actresses. He has appeared in at least 68 films and 43 TV shows.
Here are some of his famous top ten films and shows
- Dogma (1999)
- Nurse Betty (2000)
- Osmosis Jones (2001)
- The Longest Yard as James Farrell (2005)
- Good Hair (2009)
- Grown Ups as Kurt McKenzie (2010)
- Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted as Marty (2012)
- 2 Days in New York as Mingus Robinson (2012)
- Top Five as Andre Allen (2014)
- Dolemite Is My Name as Daddy Fatts (2019)
- Everybody Hates Chris as Narrator/Mr. Abbott (2005-2009)
- Chris Rock: Kill the Messenger (2008)
- Merry Madagascar as Marty(2009)
- Real Husbands of Hollywood (2013)
- Comedians in cars getting coffee (2013)
- Empire frank gathers (2015)
- Amy Schumer: Live at the Apollo (2015)
- Chris Rock: Tamborine (2018)
- Kevin Can Wait as Dennis (2018)
- Fargo as Loy Cannon (2020)
Television host roles
- 1990–1993: Saturday night live
- 1996: Billboard Music Awards
- 1996: Saturday Night Live
- 1997-2003: MTV Video Music Awards
- 2005: 77th Academy Awards
- 2014: BET Awards 2014
- 2014: Saturday Night Live
- 2015: Saturday Night live 40th anniversary special
- 2016: 88th Academy Awards
- 2020: Saturday Night Live
Earnings from films
- Everybody Hates Chris - $42 million
- Madagascar 1 ,2 and 3 - $532.7 million, $603.9 million, and $746.9 million respectively
- Grown Ups 1 and 2 - $271.4 million and $247 million, respectively
Awards and achievements
Having a successful career in acting and comedy, Chris has won numerous awards.
- Young artist awards
- Writers Guild of America awards
- Washington D.C area film critics association awards
- Palm springs international film festival
- Nickelodeon kids' choice awards
- National Board of Review awards
- NAACP image awards
- Hollywood walk of fame
- Hollywood film awards
- Environment media awards
- CableACE awards
- British comedy awards
- Blockbuster entertainment awards
- Black reel awards
- BET awards
- AFI awards
- American comedy awards
- Primetime Emmy awards
- Grammy awards
How did Chris Rock make his money?
Here is an overview of Chris Rock’s sources of income:
- Show hosting
- Comedy specials – Netflix, HBO deals
- Comedy tours – rakes in over $500,000 per stop
- Books writing – He wrote the New York Times bestseller Rock This! in 1997
Chris Rock net worth has grown progressively since he has been able to diversify his career and achieve a high level of success in multiple entertainment areas.
She became famous for her impressive roles in Yoruba films such as Okanjua and Alapo Aje. With time, she became an established actress and landed numerous acting roles. Besides acting, she is also a businesswoman. Discover more about her biography here.