Cool shades of different hair colors are trendy nowadays. It does not matter whether it is blond, brown or black. It happens that warm colors are not so popular this season. If a woman wants to be blonde, most probably she will choose ash or platinum blond. The same scheme works with all other hair colours. One of the most popular trends today is ash brown hair.
Ash color is one of the most “annoying” shades of colour. What does this mean? It means that it requires a lot of care routine. If you dye your hair an ashy shade, be ready to spend a lot of time and money on hair care products.
How to get ash brown color?
Blond girls are lucky in this case. If they want to change their colour to ashy brown hair, all they have to do is simply dye it. If you have dark or black hair, you will need to bleach it first. Yes, it may be not so “healthy” for it, but it is the only way to do it. Plus, if you take care of it properly, you will not face any problems in the future.
As everything is clear with blond now, we will take a look at the specifics of dyeing brown and black natural color.
Dyeing medium or brown hair
If your natural hair colour is brown, you can make it cooler by using a particular type of shampoo.
- Buy a toning shampoo. There are a lot of variations of such shampoos in beauty stores today. Be careful. You have to choose the one for brown hair only, not blond. Such shampoos are meant to remove orange and yellow tones, which means that they add some cool shade to your hair colour.
- Make your hair wet and wash your hair with toning shampoo. There are some issues you should know:
- The shampoo may be green or blue, do not be afraid; it does not mean that the result is going to be blue or green too.
- When applying the shampoo, gently massage it all over your head, from roots to ends.
- Do not wash it off too fast. Leave it on your head for some minutes. Each brand may work differently, so read the instructions carefully. Some shampoos may require five minutes, some ten and some twenty.
READ ALSO: Nigerian natural hair weaving styles
- Wash the shampoo off, dry your hair and enjoy your new look.
Dyeing black hair
As we said, black hair requires more actions before making it ashy.
- Buy the bleaching kit. Be careful when choosing one..
- Prepare an old towel to cover your clothing. Take a pair of disposable gloves to protect your hands. You may open a window as well because the smell of bleach may be pungent.
- Read the instructions on how to prepare the bleach itself. Usually, it comes with cream and powder. You have to mix all that. Do not use a metal container to blend the “ingredients,” it is better to do it in a plastic one.
- Part your hair into two sections. Use clips to separate it.
- Start applying the bleach to your hair. Start from the ends on your bottom part, because the hair there is thicker and it will not damage as fast as the upper part. You can use your hands or get a special tinting brush and use it.
- After you applied the bleach all over your head, cover it with a shower cap. This makes the bleach work faster and it keeps everything around you clean as well.
- Usually, you should wash out the bleach in about 10-30 minutes. Read the instructions carefully. Each brand offers different time. Never leave it longer than the recommended time.
- Wash your hair with shampoo but do not use conditioner.
Now as we have bleached our hair, it may have warm shade. Do not panic. It was just a half of work, now it is time to add the desirable shade.
- Buy light ash brown or dark ash brown hair dye, whatever you choose. Mix the dye according to the instructions. Such rules as wearing gloves and protecting your clothes still apply here.
- Apply the dye and this time you have to start from your roots. It is better to work by separating your hair into layers.
- Leave the dye for about 20-30 minutes (remember that the time is always written on the package, read the instruction and learn all the aspects before using the dye).
- Wash your hair with cold water. This time you can use the conditioner. It is better to use the conditioner from the dye package. It has the best result usually. Keep it for 2-3 minutes and wash it off.
- Now you can enjoy your new style.
20 styling ideas for ashy brown color
Having a beautiful hair color is a good thing, but styling it is even better. When you have nice waves, beachy curls or something like that, you can feel even more confident. We have picked some amazing hairstyles for you and we hope you find the one or not just one, which can inspire you.
1. Light curls + ash brown color
One of the most popular ways to style your new color is making some light waves.
2. Straight hairstyle
You can always make it straight. It looks glamorous as well. Plus, you can see whether the dye lays smoothly or not.
3. Short haircut and cool brown haircolor
Short hair with dark ash brown shade has a magical effect on your whole appearance.
4. Light ash brown
This is an example of a very light ash brown color. As you can see, this shade may be very light.
5. Ashy balayage
How about ash brown balayage? Looks amazing, right?
6. Short curly style
Here you can see that curls look perfect even on short styles.
7. Blond balayage
Add some blond elements to make it look even better.
8. Low curls
Make some curls on your ends. It makes a fantastic effect on your whole style.
9. Casual hairstyle
This is how you can style it. Impressive, is it not?
10. Mushroom brown color
Did you know about such a shade as mushroom brown hair? It is kind of light ash brown shade, and it looks excellent as well.
11. Mushroom brown balayage
Balayage plus light curls is a perfect mixture.
12. Silky mushroom hair
One more variation of mushroom color.
13. Balayage with light elements
Mushroom brown balayage. What can be better?
14. Glossy hair
It is exactly that type of color which looks amazing on both daylight and studio light.
15. Beachy style
Here we can see curls again, but this time they are kind of “wet curls”. It can be a variation of beachy hairstyle. Why not?
16. Natural color roots
The ash shade looks fantastic even with darker roots.
17. Ombre style
Do not forget about the ombre style. Mushroom brown and black may create a perfect combination in such a case.
18. Light elements on the ends
Some light elements always make your hair look very fresh.
19. Deep dark ash brown color
Deep dark ash brown is very nice colour. Be prepared to get a lot of compliments.
20. Lavender shade
How about this? Dark roots, ashy ends and some lavender-purple elements. This style is perfect for those who prefer to be unique. It may look a bit weird, but at the same time it is really interesting and noticeable. It is not only about changing your hair colour, it is about changing your whole style and who knows, maybe you can change your whole life in that way.
Ash brown hair is a popular trend all around the world. It fits any girl,of any nation, any skin color, and any appearance. Of course, there are such things as cold and warm types of appearance, but it does not mean that if you belong to the warm one, ash brown color will not suit you. If you want it, you can try it. Who knows, maybe you will be able to feel "comfortable" in this way. There are no right or wrong things in this case. This style will be trendy for more years.
READ ALSO: Long braids hairstyles trendy in 2019