Iliya Umar Damagum: 11 Major Facts You Should Know About New PDP Acting Chairman
- Iliya Umar Damagum has been announced as the acting national chairman of the PDP following the suspension of Iyorchia Ayu by his ward in Benue state
- Debo Ologunagba, the spokesperson of the PDP, announced the appointment of Iliya Umar Damagum on Tuesday
- Until his appointment, the Yobe-born politician was the deputy national chairman of the PDP, North
PAY ATTENTION: See you at Legit.ng Media Literacy Webinar! Register for free now!
FCT, Abuja - Iliya Umar Damagum has been announced as the acting national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) amid internal wrangling.
Debo Ologunagba, the publicity secretary of the PDP, announced the appointment of Damagum on Tuesday, March 28, following an injunction from a high court in Benue state that restrained Ayu from parading himself as the national chairman of the party.
Latest about PDP, Iyorchia Ayu, Iliya Umar Damagum, 2023 Election, Arewa, Benue
Damagum will replace Ayu until the party holds another national convention and elect a new chairman.
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
Ayu was suspended by his ward executives in Benue state over allegations of anti-party activities and non-payment of dues.
Background of the PDP acting national chairman
However, below are facts you should know about Damagum:
- Before his appointment, Damagum was the deputy national chairman of the PDP (North).
- The Yobe politician was born on August 10, 1963, in Damagum, presently the Fune local government area of the state.
- He attended Damagum Central Primary School from 1971-1977. The 60-year-old then moved to Government College Maiduguri in Borno state, where he finished in 1982.
- Umar holds a bachelor of art education degree from the University of Maiduguri, where he graduated in 1986.
- In 1996, he obtained a post-graduate diploma in management and later studied business administration at the master's level at the same university and graduated in 2004.
- Damagum loves engaging in intellectual conversations and is married with kids.
- The new acting PDP national chairman was a former Nigerian Ambassador To Romania (2004 – 2007).
- Damagum served as Financial Secretary of the PDP in Yobe State (1998-2000).
- He was also the Yobe State PDP Secretary, Director General Yobe State Gubernatorial Campaign and Election (2011).
- He was a former chairman of Adamawa State PDP (Caretaker-2012).
- He acted as secretary of the PDP National Reconciliation Committee (2013).
Ayu an ‘evil’ that befell PDP, says Nnamani
Legit.ng earlier reported that the former governor of Enugu state, Chimaroke Nnamani, has asked Iyorchia Ayu, the PDP national chairman, to vacate his seat following a court order.
Nnamani, a current senator defeated by the Labour Party candidate in the February 25 national assembly election, described Ayu as an evil that befell the PDP.
According to the expelled PDP chieftain, the reign of Ayu brought misfortunes to the party following its poor outing in the last general election.