- The Northern Youth Council of Nigeria has defended Senator Barau Jibrin after allegations were made against the Kano-born politician
- The youths stated that the senator is subjected to a smear campaign by those intimidated by his rising political profile
- The council also listed several achievements of the senator since he became a member of the upper chambers
FCT, Abuja - The Northern Youth Council of Nigeria has kicked against what it calls the 'campaign of calumny' against Senator Barau Jibrin.
In a statement signed by its national president, Isah Abubakar, the youths said the Kano-born politician is a victim of a smear campaign.
The youths said a write-up in an online newspaper against the person of Senator Jibrin intended to smear his character.
Part of the statement read:
PAY ATTENTION: Subscribe to Digital Talk newsletter to receive must-know business stories and succeed BIG!
“We found out after a thorough investigation that the write-up is similar to an initial write-up sent to our organisation by some elements against the senator who wanted us to smear the image of the hard working senator which we refused.
“We uncovered that the desire of these unpatriotic people was and is still driven by jealousy and Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome - "If not me, no one else."
The youths also listed their thoughts on the report, which includes:
1. Our investigations reveal that the allegation that Senator Barau Jibrin awarded contract to himself or his personal company is utterly false as our search at the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) indicated that he is not a director in the company and thus, not a part owner or sole owner of the company as he had resigned as a director on assumption of office as a Senator.
2. Our investigations also revealed that the report on National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) buildings housing the purported non-functional E-learning centres at Gwarzo, Tofa, Bichi, Kabo and Danbatta is false.
It is instructive that the senator facilitated the establishment of eight fresh NOUN Training Centres in the remaining eight local governments of Kano North that did not have the E-learning Centres, making a total of 13 centres in all. This means in all the 13 LGAs in his Senatorial district, there is a study centre of the National Open University!
3. About the unsubstantiated issues of non-completion of Senator Barau’s Constituency Projects by the MDAs, our findings have revealed to us how the MDAs have executed projects in Kano North. In any case, the execution of Constituency Projects is not within the purview of the Senator but purely that of the executing Agencies or Ministries.
In addition to the establishment of 13 NOUN study Centres, the youths said the senator has facilitated the establishment of Federal Polytechnic Kabo, in Kano state and the establishment of Federal College of Education Technical Bichi campuses under his Senatorial Zone.
The youths also stated that Senator Jibrin is sponsoring a Bill in the National Assembly for the upgrading of FCE (technical )Bichi to Federal University of Education (Technical )Bichi.
They added that he is also pursuing the transformation or upgrading of the Audu Bako College of Agriculture Danbatta to Federal University of Agriculture, Danbatta through a Bill in the National Assembly.
The senator is also said to be currently facilitating the establishment of the Nigerian Police Secondary School in Kano North Senatorial District, and about 4 projects at Bayero University Kano (BUK), outside his Senatorial Zone.
The statement added:
“We, therefore, regard Senator Barau Jibrin as a true lover of the youths in his senatorial zone, Kano state, Northern Nigeria, and the entire country.
“It has thus become incumbent on us not to allow anyone to deprive us of his youth-friendly services in the next Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria through campaign of calumny sponsored by his political opponent(s).
“If anyone wants to challenge him, such person is free, provided it is done through a democratic and civil means not through shameful lies and falsehoods. The northern region is known for its rich culture of decorum and sincerity, this is what our forebears had taught us.”
2023: Opposition jittery over popularity of Tinubu-Shettima ticket, says APC stakeholders
Meanwhile, the Protectors of Shettima Legacy (PFL) says some vested political interests have procured the services of hack writers to malign and impugn the person and character of the All Progressives Congress (APC) vice presidential candidate, Senator Kashim Shettima.
The APC stakeholders made the allegation in a statement sent to Legit.ng and signed by its chairman, Joseph A. Y. Chibok on Monday, August 29.
According to the PFL, Senator Shettima's emergence as the APC vice presidential candidate has unsettled the opposition.
2023: Nigerian youths will set agenda for Tinubu, says Yahaya Bello
Meanwhile, Kogi state governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello has said that the youths in the country will set the agenda for APC presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu if he is elected as the next president.
Governor Bello said the move is imperative because the youths own the future.
The Kogi state governor who made the assertions at the 2021 Blueprint Annual Public Lectures and Impact Series/Awards held on Tuesday, August 16 in Abuja stressed that Tinubu has the pedigree and capacity to lead the country out of its current socio-economic woes.