2023: Full List as PDP Appoints Ortom, Ishaku, Ugwuanyi, 10 Ex-governors into Zoning Committee
- Ahead of the 2023 general election, Nigeria's main opposition party is putting everything in place to set the record straight
- This is as PDP appointed three governors, ten former governors into the party's zoning committee ahead of the polls
- Meanwhile, presidential hopeful, Atiku Abubakar makes the list of the committee that is charged with the responsibility of ensuring a right presidential candidate is selected for the race
Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue state and his Enugu and Taraba state counterparts, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and Darius Ishaku respectively, are among the 37-member committee to decide the zoning formula of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the 2023 general elections.
The committee, which also comprised 10 former governors of the party, will be saddled with the responsibility of determining where the party’s presidential candidate for 2023 will come from, The New Telegraph reports.
PDP National organising secretary, Umar Bature, who released the list of the zoning committee members, said it was pursuant to the approval of the National Executive Committee (NEC) at its 95th meeting of the party.
According to the statement, the committee, which will be inaugurated on Thursday, March 24, might submit its report after the close of the sale of nomination forms.
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
The zoning committee members
The Nation added that the party also listed other members to include former governors;
- Ayo Fayose (Ekiti),
- Sule Lamido (Jigawa),
- Ahmed Makarfi (Kaduna),
- Liyel Imoke (Cross River),
- Boni Haruna (Adamawa),
- Ibrahim Dankwabo (Gombe),
- Ibrahim Shema (Katsina),
- Ibrahim Idris (Kogi)
- Attahiru Bafarawa (Sokoto) and
- Jonah Jang (Plateau)
Other members include;
- Chief Tom Ikimi (Edo)
- Mao Ohuabunwa (Abia),
- Emmanuel Ibokessien (A/Ibom),
- Prof. A. B. C. Nwosu (Anambra)
- Sen. Abdul Ningi (Bauchi),
- Boyelayefa Debekeme ( Bayelsa) and
- Sanusi Daggash (Borno).
Others on the list
- Reps Minority Leader Ndudi Elumelu (Delta),
- Amb. Franklin Ogbuewu (Ebonyi),
- Mohammed Abdulrahman (FCT),
- Chief Fidelis Izuchukwu (Imo),
- Amb. Aminu Wali (Kano),
- Kabiru Tanimu Turaki, SAN (Kebbi) and
- Kawu Baraje (Kwara) are also listed.
Also on the list are;
- Chief Olabode George (Lagos),
- Mike Abdul (Nasarawa),
- Prof Jerry Gana (Niger),
- Hon. Daisi Akintan (Ogun),
- Dr. Omotayo Dairo (Ondo),
- Prof. Adewale Oladipo (Osun),
- Sen. Hosea Ayoola Agboola (Oyo),
- Austin Opara (Rivers),
- Adamu Maina Waziri (Yobe) and
- Mahadi Aliyu Gusau (Impeached Zamfara Deputy Governor).
The PDP National Publicity Secretary Debo Ologunagba, who addressed journalists after the end of the NEC meeting last week, said the zoning committee would be given two weeks to submit its report.
Sale of forms
The party stated that its sale of form, which began on March 17, would close on April 1.
Already, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, and former president of the Senate Bukola Saraki, have collected PDP nomination forms.
The PDP, unlike the All Progressives Congress (APC), has been dogged with the debate of where its presidential candidate for 2023 will come from.
2023: Green Nigeria Movement dismisses presidential aspirants above 70-years
The Green Nigeria Movement (GNM) has said that it will not support any presidential candidate who is above 70 years old.
The group disclosed this on Tuesday, March 22 at a consultation breakfast meeting with Civil Society Organisations held in Abuja.
Convener of the GNM and Chairman of the Nigerian Young Professionals Forum, Mr. Moses Siloko Siasia, said the group is posed to mobilize up to 12million votes for a credible presidential candidate at the forthcoming 2023 general elections.
2023: Nigerian Youths Forum endorses Tambuwal as next president
Ahead of the 2023 presidential election, a coalition of youth groups under the aegis of Nigerian Youths Forum, NYF have endorsed Tambuwal as the next Nigerian president.
The NYF made this known while briefing journalists including a Legit.ng reporter in Abuja on Friday, March 4.
The convener of NYF, Comrade Elochukwu Agwu, stated that Governor Tambuwal is a leader who Nigerian youths can easily relate to, hence his endorsement by the coalition.