After months of repeated extensions of deadlines, the federal government on Monday, April 4, ordered telecommunications companies to enforce compliance with its National Identification Number-Subscriber Identity Module policy.
In simple terms, the telecom companies were ordered to bar SIM cards that are yet to be linked with the National Identification Number (NIN).
Following the directive, over 72.77 million active telecommunication subscribers have been barred from making calls on their SIMs.
If you are one of those affected by the development, here is how to link your NIN with your SIM cards, according to the major phone networks in the country such as MTN, Glo, Airtel, and 9mobile.
How to Check Your NIN
- To link your NIN to your SIM cards, you must have first enrolled for the NIN at the designated centres.
- Having successfully enrolled, you will be presented with a slip containing the NIN. You can also check your NIN just by using USSD code on your phone.
- The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) asked Nigerians to dial *346# to retrieve their NIN.
- The USSD code is available for subscribers using MTN, Airtel, 9mobile and Glo network.
PAY ATTENTION: Subscribe to Digital Talk newsletter to receive must-know business stories and succeed BIG!
How to link your NIN to your MTN Number
- Visit the Customer NIN Capture https://mtnonline.com/nin/
- You will see the form where you will fill in your full name.
- Then put your MTN Mobile Number
- Type your NIN
- Fill in your email address
- Then click on 'SUBMIT' button
Linking NIN with MTN number via short code
- Dial *785#
- Input the 11 digits NIN, then send
- You will be notified if the linking is successful or not
How to link your NIN to your GLO Number
- Send UpdateNIN (put space) NIN (put space) First name (put space) and Last Name to 109
How to link your NIN to Airtel Number
- Dial *121*1#
- Input your 11 digit NIN
- You will receive a text message saying it's successful
How to link your NIN to 9mobile Number
- Visit the website https://9mobile.com.ng/nin
- Click on the green space with 'verify and link your NIN now'
- Enter your mobile number and fill the requirements