- Governor Bello Matawalle is now the new APC leader in Zamfara state according to APC national chairman, Mai Mala Buni
- The national chairman making the governor the new APC leader in Zamfara is provided by the party's constitution
- Buni also dissolved the party' structure in the state to allow Matawalle to announce a new leadership
In an action that will raise a few eyebrows, Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara state has been named as the new All Progressives Congress (APC) leader in the state.
He announced this while handing over the party’s flag to Governor Matawalle who was received into the APC at a rally in Gusau.
“This is as provided by our party’s constitution and so l am mandated to inform you that as from today, Gov. Bello Matawalle is the leader of the APC in the state."
Before Matawalle’s defection, former governor Abdulaziz Yari was the party’s leader in the state.
Going further, he disclosed that the leadership structure of the party in the state has been dissolved, Radio Nigeria added.
The chairman said:
“The new party leader and governor of the state will announce new leadership of the party at all levels."
Former governor Yari speaks on Matawalle’s planned defection
Meanwhile, the former governor of the state, Abdulaziz Yari, said after much deliberation, the APC had decided to welcome Matawalle into the party despite their initial resistance.
He said the party gave the condition that the governor would abide by the party’s principles and progressive ideology.
APC wooing other PDP governors
In another report, APC has allegedly commenced negotiating with three opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governors with a view to winning them over to the ruling party.
Governor Mai Mala Buni-led national caretaker committee has begun talks with three PDP governors namely:
1. Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia state
2. Ifeanyi Ugwanyi of Enugu state
3. Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa state.