The title closely associated with Virat Kohli is 'cricket legend.' The Indian cricketer is regarded as one of the best batsmen in the world. A right-handed top-order batsman, Kohli shot to fame after leading India to glory in the Under-19 World Cup at Kuala Lumpur in early 2008.
Here are all the details about Virat Kohli.
- Date of birth: 5th November 1988
- Birthplace: Delhi
- Age: 31 years old
- Sun sign: Scorpio
- Nicknames: Chikoo, Run Machine
- Nationality: Indian
- Religion: Hinduism
- Eye colour: Dark brown
- Hair colour: Black
- Height: 5 feet 9 inches (175cm)
- Weight: 72 kgs
- Occupation: Cricketer
- Role: Batsman
- Batting style: Right-Handed Bat
- Bowling style: Right-arm medium
Virat Kohli family
The Indian cricketer was born on 5th November 1988 in Delhi to Prem Kohli, a criminal lawyer, and Saroj Kohli, a homemaker.
In 2006, his father, Prem Kohli, succumbed to a brain stroke, and the following day, Virat played a match against Karnataka, where he scored 90 runs.
Speaking about his father's passing and playing the following day, Virat said in an interview with NDTV:
"I still remember the night my father passed away as it was the hardest time in my life. But the call to play the morning after my father's death came instinctively to me. I called my (Delhi) coach in the morning. I said I wanted to play because for me not completing a cricket game is a sin. That was a moment that changed me as a person. The importance this sport holds in my life is very, very high,"
Virat has two elder siblings, a sister called Bhavna Kohli and a brother named Vikash Kohli.
For his schooling, the cricketer attended Vishal Bharti Public School In Delhi. In ninth grade, he shifted to Savier Convent in Paschim Vihar to help his cricket practice.
Apart from sports, Kohli was good at academics as well, and his teachers remember him as "a bright and alert child."
At school, his favourite subject was History, and he hated Maths.
Virat was fascinated with cricket since he was three years old. He would take up his bat and ask his father to bowl to him.
When he was a youngster, he played in the alleyways with the boys from the area, and the people around saw his talent even then.
Everyone urged his father not to let his talent go to waste in gulley cricket and send him to a proper cricket coaching academy.
When he was about nine and a half years old, his father took him to Raj Kumar Sharma's West Delhi Cricket Academy.
In 2003, his coach Raj Kumar Sharma had invited Ashish Nehra to his academy, where he awarded Virat as he was the highest run-scorer for Delhi in the 2002-2003 Polly Umrigar Trophy, with 172 runs at an average of 34.40.
Virat Kohli made his debut for the senior national side against India in 2008. His performance soon made him a regular in the squad and earned him a spot in the 2011 ICC World Cup. The same year, he made his Test debut.
The next year, he was appointed the ODI team's vice-captain, and in 2014, he was given the Test captaincy following Dhoni's retirement from Tests. In 2017, Dhoni stepped down from the ODI captain's position, and Virat was passed on the baton.
- 2008 - Won the 2008 U-19 World Cup
- 2008 - ODI Debut against Sri Lanka
- 2008 - Joined Royal Challengers Bangalore
- 2010 - T20I Debut against Zimbabwe
- 2011 - Won the 2011 ICC World Cup
- 2011 - Test debut against West Indies
- 2012 - Vice-captain of Indian ODI team
- 2012 - ICC ODI Player of the Year
- 2013 - No 1 batsman in ODI rankings
- 2014 - Man of the Tournament at 2014 ICC World Twenty20
- 2014 - Appointed Test captain
- 2015 - Played in the 2015 ICC World Cup
- 2016 - Man of the Tournament at 2016 ICC World Twenty20
- 2017 - ICC Cricketer of the Year
- 2017 - Appointed as the ODI captain
- 2018 - Conferred with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
- Virat Kohli has the best ever Test, ODI, and Twenty20 International rating of any Indian batsman.
- Kohli is a chase master and has the highest number of centuries in run-chases in the world.
- He is also the fastest batsman to 10,000 and 11,000 runs in ODI cricket, achieving the milestones in 205 and 222 innings.
- Fastest Indian Player to reach 1000 ODI runs.
- World's second-fastest player and fastest Indian to reach 6000 and 7000 runs in ODIs.
- Fastest Indian and world's third-fastest player to reach 5000 ODI runs.
- The world's fastest player to reach 8000, 9000, and 10000 runs in ODIs.
- Fastest Indian and second fastest in the world to hit 10, 15, 20, and 25 ODI tons.
- Fastest century by an Indian player in ODIs (52 balls against Australia).
- Only player in the world to have a batting average more than 50 in all the three formats of the game.
- The world's fastest player to hit 30 and 35 centuries in ODIs.
- Fastest player in the world to reach 15000 international runs.
- Fastest player in the world to score 17000 international runs (363 innings).
- First batsman in the world to score 500 runs in a single bilateral ODI series.
- Most ODI runs by an Indian cricketer in a calendar year (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018).
- First Indian player to hit three consecutive ODI centuries.
- Most consecutive test series win as a captain (9), equal with Ricky Ponting.
- Most ODI tons as Indian captain (13).
- First Indian captain to score two or more double centuries in Tests.
- Most Test tons as Indian captain (12).
- The fastest captain in the world to score 1000 runs in ODIs.
- First Indian captain to score three consecutive centuries in ODIs.
- Fastest captain in the world to score 4000 and 9000 ODI runs.
- Virat Kohli was awarded the ICC ODI Player of the Year in 2012, 2017, and 2018.
- In 2017 and 2018, he was awarded the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy (ICC Cricketer of the Year).
- In 2018, he also got the award of ICC Test Player of the Year.
- He was Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
- He got the Arjuna Award in 2013, the Padma Shri in 2017, and the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2018.
Here is a list of Virat Kohli girlfriends from his past. Some of these ladies were just rumoured to be dating Kohli.
- Sarh-Jane Dias(Actress)
- Sanjana (Model, actress)
- Tamannaah Bhatia (Actress)
- Izabelle Leite (Brazilian model)
- Mansha Bahl (Model, actress)
Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma
Popular Bollywood actress and producer Anushka Sharma is Virat Kohli wife. The two lovebirds have been married since 2017. How did they meet? And for how long did they date before tying the knot?
Here is everything you need to know about the Virat Kohli Anushka Sharma relationship.
How did Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma meet?
Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli first met in 2013 on the sets of a TV commercial. During the shoot, the two shared a good rapport as both were talkative. They liked each other instantly and became friends. In a few months, they were spotted at several places together.
After being spotted hanging out together, the two celebrities ignited Anushka Sharma Virat Kohli relationship rumours, but none either denied or accepted the rumours.
The first hint of their friendship becoming more than just friendship was when Virat was seen at Anushka's residence.
In January 2014, when the Indian cricket team came back from the South Africa tour, Anushka sent her car to receive Virat at the Mumbai airport, after which he went to her residence in Mumbai.
The next month, when the Indian cricket team toured New Zealand, Anushka flew to Auckland to spend some quality time with Virat. The two lovebirds were even spotted walking hand in hand on the streets of Auckland.
Despite sightings of them together, the two denied that they were in a relationship.
Later in 2014, Anushka was a guest on Karan Johar's Koffee with Karan season 4, where she denied being in a relationship with Virat, calling him a friend.
However, in November 2014, Virat Kohli gave a flying kiss to a cheering Anushka during the match against Sri Lanka at Rajiv Gandhi Stadium, Hyderabad. This just ignited the dating rumours even further.
The first signs of relationship acceptance came when Virat appreciated Anushka's performance in NH10 (2015).
In the March 2015 issue of Filmfare magazine, Anushka announced that she was dating Virat.
After the announcement, the two were seen hanging out.
In 2016, the lovebirds were rumoured to have broken up when Virat unfollowed Anushka on social media and posted a photo of himself on Instagram, captioned 'Heartbroken.' The post was later deleted.
Anushka's Sultan co-star Salman Khan helped the couple patch things up after inviting them to his Mumbai residence for a party.
A few months later, they were photographed having dinner at a Mumbai resort.
Virat Kohli Anushka Sharma marriage
The Anushka Sharma Virat Kohli wedding took place on 11th December 2017, at Tuscany, Italy.
Baby on the way
The Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli marriage is a blessed one, as the couple is set to welcome a baby in January 2021. Sharma recently announced that she is pregnant on social media
Sharma posted a photo showing her and Kohli being all smiles as she sports her baby bump.
"And then we were three! Arriving Jan 2021," the caption reads along with a heart and praying hands emoji.
Virat Kohli house
The cricketer owns a lavish apartment in Worli, Mumbai, and a luxurious bungalow in DLF Phase 1 of Gurugram, Haryana.
The apartment is on the 35th floor of C-Wing in the Omkar 1973 Towers.
Still under construction, the residence will have a stunning view of the Arabian Sea where the cricketer and his wife Anushka Sharma will finally move upon its completion. The two are currently residing in another Worli-based apartment.
The Virat Kohli house in Gurugram has an extravagant drawing room with wooden furniture and a glass wall.
It also has a well-connected pathway, a quaint bar, and a spacious living room that spreads across 500 square yards. The cricketer moved to the residence in 2015 with his family before moving to Mumbai to stay with his wife Anushka Sharma.
Is Kohli a billionaire?
While he is not yet a billionaire, Kohli is still quite rich. The global megastar's net worth is $26 million. He is the only Indian on Forbes' recent list of the world's highest-paid athletes.
As reported by Forbes, his fame helps him earn more than $20 million annually from endorsement partners like Audi, Hero, MRF, Puma, Valvoline, etc.
Is Virat Kohli Punjabi?
The cricketer was born into a Punjabi Hindu family.
This Virat Kohli biography proves just how talented the man is. Kohli is considered one of the best batsmen in the world, and rightfully so.
READ ALSO: The best Muslim football players in the world 2020
Legit.ng recently reported about the best Muslim footballers in the world today. As per the report, many Muslim soccer players have been contributing to the game. Their spectacular performance dazzles their fans and earns them huge sums of money.
The world's most famous Muslim footballers are good at the game, and they are also religious.