- Suspected bandits have allegedly kidnapped babies in a daring attack on a hospital in Zaria, Kaduna state
- The bandits who engaged police officers in a gun duel also reportedly kidnapped nurses and a security guard from the health centre
- The Kaduna state police command has confirmed the ugly incident, giving assurance that efforts to rescue the victims have commenced
Zaria, Kaduna state - Armed bandits have reportedly invaded the residential quarters of the National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Centre in Zaria, Kaduna state.
The bandits allegedly stormed the place in large numbers and engaged officers from a nearby police station in a gun battle.
A staff of the hospital whose name was not disclosed said the hospital's principal security guard on duty was among the people abducted.
“Those kidnapped were our staff living at the staff quarters, some were abducted alongside their children. So about ten people were taken away so far."
Names of kidnap victims compiled
The public relations officer of the Medical and Health Union of the Center, Maryam Abdulrazaq, has also reportedly confirmed the incident.
Mrs Abdulrazaq said she compiled six names of those abducted while noting that the latest incident made it the third time their staff were abducted by the bandits.
List of the names compiled:
1. The principal security guard on duty
2. Two nurses (Joy Yakubu, Odor and her baby)
3. Lab Technician Christiana
4. Kasim from Auditorium office
She added that she will get the remaining four names by Monday, July 5.
The Kaduna state police command has also reportedly confirmed the incident, saying efforts are ongoing to rescue the victims.
Similarly, the commissioner of internal security and home affairs, Samuel Aruwan, confirmed that Nigerian troops have intensified efforts to rescue the victims, PRNigeria reported.
Read more at: https://prnigeria.com/2021/07/04/bandits-babies-nurses-zaria-hospital/
Zaria is under siege, emir raises alarm
Meanwhile, the Emir of Zazzau, Ambassador Ahmad Nuhu Bamalli, has raised an alarm that his emirate is under siege.
He said residents of his emirates are having sleepless nights due to abductions going on within Zaria and environs.
He described the situation as unacceptable and urged the government to take action.
El-Rufai reveals why he withdrew son from public school
In another related development, Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna state has quietly withdrawn his son, Abubakar Al-Sadiq, from Kaduna Capital School.
The governor made headlines in 2019 when he registered his son in a public school. Many observers had described the move as a “political and media stunt”.
Two years after, El-Rufai has changed his mind and his son is now being home-schooled. He said though his son is currently at home receiving classes, he is still registered in the school and only goes to write exams.
According to him, the move was for the protection of the lives of other pupils in the school, following the advice of security agents.