- President Buhari has finally approved a team of the federal government to meet with Twitter over the suspension of its operations in Nigeria
- Information minister, Lai Mohammed, will chair the team which has the AGF and other ministers as members
- Since Friday, June 4, Twitter's operations have been suspended in Nigeria amid outrage from the youths
FCT, Abuja - President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the composition of the federal government's team to engage with Twitter over the suspension of the operations of the microblogging and social networking service in Nigeria.
This was disclosed in a statement sent to Legit.ng on Tuesday, June 22, by Segun Adeyemi, the special assistant to the president on media, Office of the Minister of Information and Culture.
Legit.ng gathers that the minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, who will chair the team.
Kemi Adeosun: Huge reactions as Nigeria's former finance minister reemerges, introduces new programme
Below is a list of the team to meet with Twitter
1. Alhaji Lai Mohammed, minister of information and culture
2. Abubakar Malami, the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF)
3. Isa Pantami, minister of communications and digital economy
4. Geoffrey Onyeama, minister of foreign affairs
5. Babatunde Raji Fashola, minister of works and housing,
6. Festus Keyamo, minister of state for labour and employment
The statement noted that Twitter had earlier written to President Buhari seeking to engage with the federal government over the suspension, with a view to charting a path forward.
The Nigerian government had on Friday, June 4, announced an indefinite suspension of Twitter's operations in Nigeria "for activities that are capable of undermining" the country's "corporate existence".
Twitter ban: List of 3 important things FG wants
1. Register with CAC
2. Obtain a license from the NBC
3. Sanitise platform
Andy Trump commented on Facebook:
"President Buhari you just succumb to global pressure. Really disappointed with this.
"You think they are going to change."
Anas Yarima said:
"Thats how a good president should be no matter how hard it is. I really endorse it."
"Nonsense what brings the office of The Honorable Minister Of Works and Housing to the Team? Instead The Office of the Minister of interior suppose to be not the order way round."
Otumara Gabriel said:
"With these guys on the list of persons going to a roundtable with Twitter. I feel like crying already cause nothing reasonable will be discussed than backwardness."
ECOWAS court takes decision over Twitter ban in Nigeria
Meanwhile, the ECOWAS Court of Justice has reportedly served a hearing notice on the federal government in the suit filed by the Socio-Economic Rights And Accountability Project (SERAP) and 176 Nigerians over the suspension of Twitter.
The advocacy organisation stated that the court fixed June 22, 2021, for the hearing of the application for interim orders in the suit.
SERAP also reiterated its demand for President Buhari to reverse the suspension of Twitter.