Have you ever thought of yourself as being too mature for your age? Do people seek your advice and wisdom? And does the thought "I am an old soul trapped in a young person's body" resonate with you? If this is you, then you might be an old soul, and congratulations, because old souls are some of the world's best people, and here is why.
What is an old soul? And what does it mean to be an old soul? Here are all the details you need to know about having such a personality.
What does old soul mean?
What is the definition old souls?
Old soul definition: An old soul is a person who feels much older than their age reflects. This feeling is often accompanied by the gift of empathy, high intelligence, intuition, and keen insight into the human condition
Old souls often feel as though they do not "belong" in this world, or this period of time. Due to this, most of them long for a sense of true meaning, purpose, and inner fulfillment that money, power, and success cannot achieve. This longing is often described as the thirst to "return home."
Some people even believe that the real old soul meaning is a person who has learned from past incarnations or lives. They acquired specific knowledge from their past lives and apply it to their present life, thus gaining more wisdom than the average person.
A great example of an old soul would be Nikola Tesla, an inventor, electronic engineer, and genius. His being an old soul is seen in his spiritual gifts in seeing things outside of his lifetime.
Old soul traits
Am I an old soul? If you have these character traits, then you are.
1. You do not like to go out just for the sake of going out
Going out just because seems pointless to you. You would rather save your time and money and do something of quality.
2. You feel connected to the past
There is a feeling of special connection with those that are older than you. You cherish the information, knowledge, and skills you have learned from them over the years.
3. You value deep connections
You value the essence of deep friendships and long-lasting relationships.
4. You know there is another way to do things
You often say things like, "I have a feeling this will work," or "there's no harm in trying."
5. You do not waste time asking why
After you have thought things through, you move ahead, confident in the knowledge that you have done all you needed to do to get going.
6. You love meeting new people
Talking to people is enriching and adds to your experience of the world.
7. You have a preference for solitude
Because old souls are disinterested in the pursuits and interests of the people in their age groups, they find it dissatisfying to make friends with people they find hard to relate to.
8. You did not have a lot of friends as a kid
If you always felt like you were the odd-one-out when you were in school, it could be that you were more mature than the rest of the kids.
9. You truly understand what it means to give
To you, there is no better way to live than to give.
10. You are the epitome of calm
You have learned that nothing gets done if everyone is running around losing their heads; someone needs to be the calm force.
11. You have undergone an existential crisis
An existential crisis happens when a person starts to see through the lies and delusions within society. Since old souls ask deep and penetrating questions about life in their search for love, truth, and freedom, they may wonder what life is about, whether they have a true purpose, and start to think about the human condition more.
12. You see life through a poetic/contemplative lens
You take time to enjoy life and see things that others do not.
13. You love learning
For you, learning is growth, and growth is part of life.
14. You tend to overthink everything
You struggle with the curse of overthinking practically everything.
15. You crave simplicity
You have a profound understanding of human nature.
16. You see no need in being unnecessarily stressed
You do not invite drama just because it makes you feel alive, no, you would much prefer to live without it.
17. You love knowledge, wisdom, and truth
You inherently understand that knowledge is power, wisdom is happiness, and truth is freedom, so why not seek those things?
18. You see the bigger picture
You dislike getting lost in superficial things. You prefer to look at life from a bird' s-eye perspective, striving to find the wisest and most meaningful way of living and using your time.
19. You struggle with anxiety in social situations
Although many old souls are confident, calm, and self-possessed people, social situations are complex and tiring that they often prefer just being left by themselves.
20. You understand the transience of life
You are frequently plagued with reminders of your mortality and that of everything and everyone around you.
21. You are thoughtful and reflective
You tend to think a lot about everything.
22. You like to think things through
To you, not being able to think things through, even a little, leaves you feeling uneasy, and that does nothing to help.
23. You easily fall into the role of advisor or counselor
Attracted to your level-headedness and wisdom, it is common for family members, friends, and workplaces to position you as advice-giver naturally.
24. You value the company of those much older than you
You want to drink in their wisdom, and you hang on their every word as they tell you stories of their youth.
25. You give advice well beyond your years
You somehow seem to know how to do things you have not even done yourself yet. It's like you have lived before, and understand how it all works.
26. You do not see the fuss about the latest craze
To you, being a style chaser or tech follower is something you can never quite get your head around.
27. You feel the weight of your ancestors
You feel the weight of those who came before you. You are in touch with your previous experiences, as well as those of their ancestors.
Benefits of being an old soul
Being an old soul comes with its perks, among them:
- You do not live in a material world.
- You are great at listening.
- Money has little value.
- You have killer intuition.
- You have an appreciation for the little things in life.
- You possess a natural aura of mature authority.
- You are naturally polite.
- You will not deviate from your true self for anyone.
- You are a trailblazer.
- You are the bridge between generations.
- You are a veritable pro when it comes to facing life's challenges.
- You learn, and you adapt, often.
- Your friendships are built on unshakeable foundations.
Old soul quotes
- "She's an old soul with young eyes, a vintage heart, and a beautiful mind." ― Nicole Lyons
- "Anyone who takes the time to attentively listen is either an old soul or a romantic one."- Richelle E. Goodrich
- "The Old Soul is more inclined to be a lifelong learner, constantly feeding his thirst for insight through his own persistent efforts. His learning has not been forced into him through education or learned out of obligation, but has been absorbed out of curiosity and personal choice." ― Aletheia Luna
- "Everything is connected" was probably a phrase first coined by an Old Soul." ― Aletheia Luna
- "Falling in love for the first time is like an instant realization of just how old your soul is."- Jennifer Elisabeth
- "There is a beautiful thing inside you that is thousands of years old. Too old to be captured in poems. Too old to be loved by everyone but so loved so very deeply by a chosen few."- Nikita Gill
- "Old souls are usually childlike in many ways, having the playfulness and simplicity of children, while maintaining a certain world-weariness and deep insight."- don Mateo Sol
An old soul is a special individual. They are wise people who are in touch with their prior experiences, as well as those of their ancestors. If you are one, then you have a gift that you should cherish.
READ ALSO: What is a Sigma male: Definition, traits, examples, famous sigmas
Legit.ng reported about what a Sigma male is and the character traits that define a man with a Sigma personality.
A Sigma male is best defined as the outsider who does not play the social game but manages to win it anyhow. He is a confident, independent, and charismatic man who plays by his own rules. This makes him equal to the Alpha, much to the latter's chagrin.