What Charles III Said After Being Crowned New King of the United Kingdom
- On Saturday, May 6, Britain's King Charles III was crowned, eight months after he ascended to the throne, following the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, last September
- King Charles swore to govern the people with justice and mercy, and to uphold the Anglican Church of England and the Presbyterian Church of Scotland
- With the UK welcoming a new era with the coronation of King Charles, the monarch reiterated his desire to protect all faiths
PAY ATTENTION: Сheck out news that is picked exactly for YOU ➡️ click on “Recommended for you” and enjoy!
London, United Kingdom - King Charles III on Saturday, May 6, swore to govern the people of the United Kingdom (UK) with justice and mercy, and to uphold the Anglican Church of England and the Presbyterian Church of Scotland.
Legit.ng reports that for the first time at a Coronation, the British monarch also prays for grace of every faith and belief.
King Charles III said as he took the oath at Westminster Abbey:
"I swear to govern the people with justice and mercy, and to uphold the Anglican Church of England and the Presbyterian Church of Scotland."
PAY ATTENTION: Follow us on Instagram - get the most important news directly in your favourite app!
The most sacred part of the Coronation Service, Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury anointed King Charles' hands, chest and head with holy oil in the Coronation Chair.
Regarded as a moment between the Sovereign and God, the Anointing Screen protects the sanctity of this act.
The King, 74, is dressed in symbolic ‘vestments’, and presented with items of Regalia, each a visible reminder of his role and his responsibility to God.
- The Supertunica: a coat of gold silk reflecting the splendour of Christ.
- The Armills: gold bracelets representing sincerity and wisdom.
- The Sovereign’s Orb symbolising the Christian world.
- The Sovereign’s Sceptre with Dove to represent The King's spiritual role.
- The Sovereign’s Sceptre with Cross to represent His Majesty’s worldly power.
Subsequently, Welby placed St Edward’s Crown on King Charles' anointed head. Then, the clergy, congregation and choir all cried ‘God Save The King’.
Coronation: How Charles III became king
With passing of Queen Elizabeth II in September 2022, her first son, Charles, ascended the throne to officially become King Charles III.
The new king had been the Prince of Wales — the title reserved for future British kings-in-waiting — for longer than anyone else in the history of the UK's monarchy.
Elizabeth died aged 96 at Balmoral Castle, Aberdeenshire, in September 2022 and was succeeded by her eldest son, Charles III.
Buhari joins other Commonwealth leaders for King Charles III’s coronation
Legit.ng had earlier reported that the president of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari joined other Commonwealth leaders at the Marlborough House in the UK in preparation for King Charles III's coronation ceremony.
The ceremony would become the first royal coronation in England in over 70 years when the late Queen Elizabeth was coronated.
King Charles’s Coronation: List of properties new England monarch inherited from Late Queen Elizabeth
Legit.ng also listed properties the new England monarch inherited from Late Queen Elizabeth II.
This included Queen Victoria's wedding gown.
On other properties, such as Dolphins and Swans, by law in the UK, all white mute swans without ownership marks in England and Wales belong to the monarch.