EPL: “We Punish Them”, Guardiola Speaks as Man City Leapfrog Arsenal to Close in on Title

EPL: “We Punish Them”, Guardiola Speaks as Man City Leapfrog Arsenal to Close in on Title

  • Pep Guardiola has said his side were only able to "punish" Tottenham Hotspur in a crucial Premier League match on Tuesday, May 14
  • Speaking after the match, Guardiola said Manchester City expected a tough game at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
  • Legit.ng reports that Manchester City defeated Tottenham with two goals to close in on an unprecedented fourth Premier League title

Legit.ng journalist Ridwan Adeola Yusuf has over 9 years of experience covering sports and football.

London, United Kingdom - Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola, has hailed Tottenham Hotspur despite their loss in the English Premier League (EPL) game played on Tuesday night, May 14.

Spurs lost two-nil in London to the reigning EPL champions and league favourites.

Tottenham vs Man City: Guardiola reacts to win
Pep Guardiola reacts during the Premier League match between Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City on May 14, 2024. Photo credit: Justin Setterfield
Source: Getty Images

Erling Haaland’s double helped City triumph over Tottenham and ensure Guardiola’s team head into the final day of the season leading the Premier League.

Read also

"A big win": Delight as Ukraine's Usyk beats Tyson Fury to make boxing history, video trends

Haaland, who had opened the scoring with a tap-in on 51 minutes, slammed in a stoppage-time penalty to send the travelling supporters into frenzy at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

With Haaland’s two goals, City - now on 88 points, two clear of Arsenal - are on the cusp of an unprecedented fourth straight EPL title, while Spurs’ UEFA Champions League hopes are over.

Despite the disappointment for Spurs, Guardiola has nice words for them.

He said in his post-match reaction:

"They (Spurs) are an exceptional team, physical, intense, well managed, good with and without the ball.
"We knew it was going to be difficult but in the bad moments we were there and our keepers do the job.
"At the end, in the right moment, we punish them."

Read also

Tragedy as Lagos man dies while watching football match, police react

Tottenham manager won't lose focus

On his part, Spurs manager, Ange Postecoglou, said he is focused on building a winning team.

He said:

“Maybe I'm out of step, but I just want to win. I want to be successful at this football club, it's why I was brought in.
"So what other people and what their priorities are, are of zero interest to me.
"I know what's important to build a winning team, that's what I need to concentrate on.”

Read more on EPL

Supercomputer predicts EPL title winner

Legit.ng earlier reported that the Opta supercomputer disclosed that Arsenal's win against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday, May 12, sends their title chance up to 41.3% - the highest it has been all season.

Read also

Arsenal or Man City? Man who correctly predicted AFCON winner shares dream about club to win 2024 PL

Presently, they (City) have a 58.7% chance of winning the EPL title while Mikel Arteta's Arsenal side take the remaining 41.3%.

Source: Legit.ng

Tags:
Online view pixel