- The failure of the Nigerian government to implement the 774,000 job initiative for Nigerian youth is causing a frenzy among lawmakers
- The House of Representatives said the non-implementation of the job scheme should be investigated
- The lawmakers also mandated that the job initiative by the federal government be incorporated into the 2022 budget estimates
Lawmakers of the House of Representatives on Wednesday, November 24, resolved to investigate the alleged failed jobs initiative by the federal government.
The federal government had said that it would engage 774,000 Nigerian youths from all the 774 local government areas of the country through its Special Public Works Scheme.
The Punch reports that the House Committee on youths, labour, finance and appropriation was mandated to institute a probe into the “non-implementation of the scheme".
The committee is also expected to make its findings and report back to the House of Representatives within two weeks for further legislative action.
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
Scheme to be fully captured in 2022 budget estimates
Also, Vanguard in its report said the committee was also mandated to capture the scheme in the 2022 budget estimation.
The directive given by the House of Representatives followed a motion moved by Honourable Gudaji Kazaure on the floor of the plenary.
Kazaure titled his motion ‘Call to investigate the Presidential Youth Empowerment Scheme'.
Nigerian Banks mandated to pay all participants of the 774,000 job scheme
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the federal government had mandated banks to pay all the successful applicants for the 774,000 jobs under the Extended Special Public Works.
The participants were expected to be paid an N20,000 stipend by the Nigerian government following their participation in the scheme.
It was gathered that thousands of the participants were yet to be paid their stipend while others said they were paid only once.
Buhari is the only person with the power to halt the 774,000 job scheme
The minister of state for labour and employment, Festus Keyamo, had said that it is only President Muhammdu Buhari that has the power to stop the 774,000 job scheme being carried out by the federal government.
Keyamo's outburst followed a tussle between the executive arm of the government and the legislature over the plot to end the job scheme.
The minister alleged that some lawmakers are trying to twist the arm of President Muhammadu Buhari to put the scheme on hold to their own advantage.