- President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will honour Nigerian flag designer, late Pa Taiwo Micheal Akinkunmi and 10 others
- Late Akinkunmi and others will be honoured with the Citizenship and patriots awards in commemoration of the 63rd Independence Day celebration
- The director general of the National Orientation Agency, Dr. Garba Abari, said the award ceremony is scheduled for Thursday, October 5
The director general of the National Orientation Agency, Dr. Garba Abari, disclosed this while addressing the media.
The award ceremony is scheduled for Thursday, October 5.
PAY ATTENTION: Share your outstanding story with our editors! Please reach us through firstname.lastname@example.org!
Tinubu to honour Akinkunmi, 10 others with special awards
The awardees are:
- Nigerian flag designer, late Pa Taiwo Micheal Akinkunmi
- Naval Rating, Salaudeen Akano, who hoisted the Nigerian flag at midnight to mark the independence of Nigeria in 1960
- Late Commander Onwurah Zonyanuno Chiazor, the commandant under whose order Naval Rating Salaudeen hoisted the flag.
- John A. Ilechukwu,
- Eme Etim Akpan,
- B.A. Ogunnaike,
- Sota Omoigui
- P. O. Aderibigbe (all contributed to the lyrics of the country’s National Anthem)
- Late Benedict E. Odiase - directed the Nigerian Police Band
- Late (Mrs.) Felicia Adebola Adedoyin - the woman who created the National Pledge
- Adewusi (Adedoyin's friend who introduced her to the president).
Abari further stated that September 16 every year has been set aside as National Symbols Day and September 30 as Citizens and Patriots Day.
According to Abari, Symbols Day marks the date when Nigeria’s Coat-of-Arms and National Ordinance was signed into law in 1960 ahead of Nigeria’s Independence Day.
FG unveils logo for 63rd Independence Day celebration
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that the official logo for Nigeria's 63rd Independence Day celebration had been unveiled.
The director of information, Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Willie Bassey, released the logo in the early hours of Tuesday, September 26.
Nigeria will mark its 63rd Independence Day celebration on Sunday, October 1, having gained independence from the British in 1960.
Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi, designer of Nigerian flag, is dead
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported the death of Pa Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi, the man renowned for designing Nigeria's flag.
The octogenarian reportedly died in the early hours of Tuesday, August 29, at 84, after he suffered from a brief illness.
One of his children reportedly announced the death of the Nigerian icon.