- National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has warned 13 states and 50 communities mostly in the north of flooding
- NEMA explained that the affected communities will experience flooding as a result of heavy rainfall
- The federal government agency disclosed that the heavy rainfall that may lead to flooding will be between September 13 and 17.
Unlock the best of Legit.ng on Pinterest! Subscribe now and get your daily inspiration!
Lagos Territorial Coordinator of NEMA, Ibrahim Farinloye, said the rainfall will be between September 13 and 17, Daily Trust reported.
He disclosed this in a statement issued on Wednesday, September 13.
13 states, 50 communities expected to experience flooding
- Kano State - Sumaila and Kunchi
- Kebbi State - Argungu,
- Katsina State - Bindawa, Jibia, Kaita, and Katsina
- Niger state - Kontagora, Mashegu, and New Bussa
- Kwara State - Kosubosu
- Zamfara State - Kaura Namoda and Shinkafi;
- Bauchi State - Bajoga, Darazo, Kirfi, Azare, Jama ‘are, Itas, Misau;
- Taraba state - Bali, Donga, Lau, Serti, Mutum-Biyu, Yorro
- Borno State - Briyel, Biu, Dikwa, Kukawa
- Adamawa state - Ganye, Mubi, Demsa, Jimeta, Mayo Belwa, Numan, Shelleng, and Song
- Yobe state - Dapchi, Gashua, Geidam, Kanamma, Machina, and Potiskum
- Gombe State - Nafada
- Jigawa state - Dutse, Gumel, Gwaram, and Miga
PAY ATTENTION: Share your outstanding story with our editors! Please reach us through email@example.com!
Farinloye said communities along the Rivers Benue and Niger up to Bayelsa were advised to take precautionary measures due to the rise in the water levels.
Massive flooding looms as Cameroon set to open Lagdo Dam
The alert was issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in a letter dated August 21.
The letter, signed by Umar Salisu, the ministry’s director of African affairs, said the Cameroonian government plans to “open the flood gates of the Lagdo Dam on the Benue River in days ahead”.
NEMA releases list of states that may experience flooding
NEMA has released a list of states and communities that may experience flooding in August 2023.
The Lagos Territorial Coordinator of NEMA, Ibrahim Farinloye, said 19 states and 56 communities may experience heavy rainfall that could lead to flooding this August.
Alert: Full list of 14 states that may soon experience massive floods
NEMA has listed several states and communities that may witness heavy rainfall that would likely lead to flooding.
In a statement signed by Ibrahim Farinloye, Territorial Coordinator, NEMA, Lagos Territorial Office, residents of the listed areas should brace up for flooding from Tuesday, July 4, to Saturday, July 8.