- The national leader of the All progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu has reacted to the recent building that collapsed in Ikoyi
- The former governor of Lagos state, in his reaction, supported Sanwo-Olu’s call for a thorough investigation into the tragic incident
- Tinubu who described the collapse as a sad and tragic incident noted it could have been avoided but there are lessons learnt already
Abuja- The national leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu has expressed deep worry about the recent building that collapsed in the Ikoyi area of Lagos state.
While reacting to the development, the former governor of Lagos state disclosed that it is an incident that could have been avoided but was neglected.
PM News reports that Tinubu made this disclosure while supporting the decision of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, demanding an investigation into the building collapse.
Meanwhile, the Lagos State Government had earlier initiated an internal probe into the collapse of the building which went down on Monday, November 1.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
It has also set up an independent panel made up of professionals in the building industry to probe the building collapse.
Tinubu who described the collapse of a 21-story building as a sad and painful incident decried the loss of lives, adding that the tragic incident should never have occurred.
He added that the probes are necessary to uncover the facts behind the building collapse, so as to prevent a future occurrence.
The APC chieftain said:
“I endorse Gov. Babajide Sanwo-olu’s order for an investigation into this tragedy. There are many questions to ask, and all those questions deserve full and public answers.
“The collapse of a 21-storey building in Ikoyi, Lagos, is a sad and painful incident. Once more and all too often, we have suffered the loss of lives for no defensible reason. This tragedy should never have occurred."
Bricklayer escapes being killed in Ikoyi building collapse, celebrates victory over death, many react
Taking to his LinkedIn page, the man identified as Innocent Amos Denavide said he was working on the 12th floor of the building but stepped out to order more plaster and sand because they exhausted their supply.
Innocent shared photos of himself and the collapsed building on his LinkedIn page and expressed gratitude to God for sparing his life.
17 people confirmed dead in Ikoyi building collapse
Legit.ng earlier reported that seventeen persons were confirmed dead following the collapse of a 21-storey building in the Ikoyi area of Lagos.
Nine other victims of the incident have also been rescued alive and are receiving treatment at different hospitals in Lagos.
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), confirmed that the incident occurred at a building located at Gerrard Road in the Ikoyi area of Lagos.