- Lagos was recently put on a standstill as some of Nollywood's greats stormed the 2023 Africa Movie Academy Award (AMAA)
- Many of Nollywood's greats all stepped out on Sunday, October 29, 2023, to celebrate the legacy of Peace Anyiam-Osigwe, the founder of AMAA
- It was the 19th edition, and it was one hell of a ceremony as Tobi Bakre, Kunle Afolayan, Nse Ikpe Etim, Jimmy Jean Louis, Anikulapo, Mami Wata, Gangs of Lagos all won big
Lights camera action! It was the 19th edition of the Africa Movie Academy Award (AMAA), as Lagos witnessed the beauty of the black continent's creative industry.
The 19th edition is the first AMAA show after the demise of its founder, Peace Anyiam-Osigwe.
And the legacy left behind was quite a thing of beauty to see as many of Nollywood's greats all turned up to pay their respect to Peace's legacy in motion.
Both young and old faces were at the show, including the likes of Odunlade Adekola, Kunle Afolayan, Jimmy Jean Louis, Bimbo Manuel, Ngozi Nwosu, Charles Otudor, Ralph Nwadike, Bimbo Ademoye, Ibinabo Fiberesima, Tony Akposeri, Osita Iheme, Chinedu Ikedieze, Foluke Daramola-Salako, Enyinna Nwigwe, Fred Amata, Segun Arinze, Seun Soyinka, Clarion Chukwurah, Papa Ajasco, and several others.
PAY ATTENTION: Сheck out news that is picked exactly for YOU ➡️ find the “Recommended for you” block on the home page and enjoy!
Legit.ng spoke with Odunlade Adekola about Peace Anyiam Osigwe, and this is what he said:
"This isn't my first time attending the AMAA awards, my first time was in South Africa. One thing I can boldly say is that the ceremony has grown over the years. It is a wonderful scenery. Peace's legacy lives on. I bid her RIP. I don't know her personally, but her creative shows and it will stay in the hearts of many for a very long time."
One of the highlights of the night was seeing the honour given to veteran actor Charles Olumo, aka Agbako.
He was given a lifetime achievement award for his contribution to the Nigerian film industry as an actor with over 50 years of experience. Pa Agbako recently turned 100.
Below is the full list of winners at the 2023 AMAA:
1. Efere Ozako Award for Best Short Film
• Lions – Ethiopia
2. Jubril Malaifia Award for Best Animation
• Jabari – Ghana
3. Best Documentary
• Le Spectre de Boko Haram – Cameroon
4. Ousmane Sembene Award for Best Film in an African Language
5. Michael Anyiam Osigwe Award for Best Film by an African-born director Living Abroad
• KOFA – Nigeria/Canada
6. Best Diaspora Short Film
• Raw Materials – Jamaica
7. Best Diaspora Documentary
• Sound of the Police – United States
8. Best Diaspora Narrative Feature
• Our Father, The Devil – United States
9. Best Achievement in Production Design
• Anikulapo – Nigeria
10. Best Achievement in Costume Design
• Xalé – Senegal
11. Best Achievement in Make-Up
• Mami Wata – Nigeria
12. Best Achievement in Soundtrack
• Fight Like a Girl – Rwanda
13. Best Achievement in Visual Effects
14. Best Achievement in Sound
• Sira – Burkina Faso
15. Best Achievement in Cinematography
• Mami Wata – Nigeria
16. Best Achievement in Editing
• Omen – DRC
17. Best Achievement in Screenplay
• Xalé – Senegal
18. National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB) Award for Best Nigerian Film
• Mami Wata
19. Best Young/Promising Actor
• Maleek Sanni – Gangs of Lagos
20. Best Actor in a Supporting Role
• Jimmy Jean-Louis -Rise – United States
21. Best Actress in a Supporting Role
• Rokhaya Niang – Xalé – Senegal
22. Best Actor in a Leading Role
• Tobi Bakre – Brotherhood – Nigeria
23. Best Actress in a Leading Role
• Nse Ikpe-Etim – 4-4-44 (Four Four Forty-Four)
24. Debut Feature by a Director
• Baloji – Omen – DRC
25. Best Director
• Apolline Traore – Sira
26. Best Film
• Xalé - Senegal
AMAA founder Peace Anyiam-Osigwe dies after days in Coma
Legit.ng recalls reporting when it was announced that Peace Anyiam-Osigwe was dead
Peace is among the few Nigerians accorded the Nigerian national honours (MFR). She is a member of the Order of the Federal Republic.
She passed on in the early hours of Tuesday, January 10, 2023, after being in a coma for days.