- The kidnapped students of Government Secondary School in Jangebe, are still with their captors, Zamfara state government has said
- Governor Bello Matawalle's media aide issued a clarification following reports that the schoolgirls had regained their freedom
- According to Yusuf Idris, efforts were still ongoing to secure the release of the abducted female students
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
Report emerging from Premium Times indicates that the kidnapped female students of Government Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara state are still with the bandits who kidnapped them.
Yusuf Idris, the media aide to Governor Bello Matawalle's media aide, issued a clarification on Sunday, February 28, amid reports that the girls had been released.
Idris speaking to the newspaper at about 3 p.m noted that abducted students have not been freed, saying efforts were currently ongoing to secure the safe return of the children.
While urging the public to ignore the media reports that the students had been released, the governor’s spokesperson called on parents and residents to pray for the safe return of the schoolgirls.
It would be recalled that a report by Channels TV indicated that the Zamfara state government confirmed that the kidnapped schoolgirls had been released.
The news publication revealed the state government made the disclosure on Sunday, February 28, adding that the number of freed students, as well as details of their release, are yet to be confirmed.
The Punch, had also reported that the schoolgirls who were kidnapped on Friday, February 26, were at the palace of the Emir of Anka waiting for transportation to Gusau, the state capital.
It was gathered that the girls were taken to a forest by bandits who reportedly disguised as security personnel.
According to a source, the female students were kept in the forest between Dangulbi and Sabon Birnin Banaga in the Maru LGA of Zamfara state.Joy as abducted Kagara school children, staff arrive Minna
This development is coming more than 24 hours after some of the abducted female students reportedly escaped from their abductors.
Seven out of the 317 female students escaped from the bandits while trekking along the forest.
A source from Jangebe on Friday evening, February 26, said the girls have returned home, adding that the escaped students revealed more had also escaped and are expected back soon.
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that Sheikh Ahmad Gumi said the bandits he met with in Zamfara state are not the abductors of the schoolgirls in Government Secondary School, Jangebe.
He disclosed that the abduction was carried out by a splinter group of the Zamfara bandits.
The Islamic scholar reiterated that the bandits he recently met were not the ones that abducted the girls, saying "it is a splinter group” that is responsible for the abduction.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news appJust in: Some abducted schoolgirls escape from bandits in Zamfara forest
Oluwatobi Bolashodun is a Legit.ng journalist with six years of working experience in the media industry. She graduated from Babcock University in 2012 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication. Oluwatobi is a Current Affairs Editor, mostly writing on political, educational, and business topics. She uses her team spirit to encourage others to work hard.