- No fewer than 300 students of Government Girls School, Zamfara, have been abducted according to emerging reports
- The ugly incident reportedly happened on the morning of Friday, February 26
- SP Muhammad Shehu, the state police spokesman, said he would give details about the incident after proper briefing
Legit.ng gathered that the incident happened in the early hours of Friday, February 26.
According to the report, a resident of Kawaye village identified as Sadi Kawaye said that his daughters, Mansura and Sakina were among those abducted.
He reportedly said:
“I’m on my to Jangebe now to see the situation myself. I was told they invaded the school around 1 am."
The state police public relations officer, SP Muhammad Shehu, said he could not react to the incident yet, adding that he needed time to verify it.
“Give me some time, I can’t say anything now.”
It was gathered that the gunmen stormed the school and herded the children away.
The online medium stated that scores of the terrorists were said to have overrun a military checkpoint closeby before storming the school.
It added that several soldiers sustained injuries, stressing that it was not clear whether some fatalities occurred.
P.M.News also noted that sources said vigilantes exchanged gunfire with the terrorists and are said to be on their heels to rescue the abducted 300 schoolgirls.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari dismissed the calls for the federal government to grant amnesty to armed bandits and other criminals.
It was reported that the Nigerian president at a security meeting on Thursday, February 25, said his administration would deal decisively with bandits, kidnappers, and insurgents.
The meeting had in attendance the northern state governor's forum, northern traditional rulers’ council, and a delegation from the federal government.
Buhari who was represented by his chief of staff, Professor Ibrahim Gambari, said it is time to treat criminals as criminals and stop ethnic profiling.
In a related report, Abubakar Sani Bello, the governor of Niger state, accused the federal government of not doing enough to secure the release of 42 persons abducted at Government Science College, Kagara.
The governor said he has received “little or no support” from the federal government towards the rescue of the abducted victims.
Wale Akinola is a passionate journalist and researcher. He works as a senior political/current affairs editor at Legit.ng. He holds both B.A and Master’s degree in Communications and Language Arts from the University of Ibadan. He also holds a Diploma Certificate in Peace Journalism. He has over 15 years of work experience in both print and online media. He derives joy in keeping the public abreast of current happenings locally and internationally through his writings.