Given that they are public servants, asides from being the chief security officers of their respective countries, African presidents also receive salaries like any other worker.
The pay package which is usually monthly also comes with numerous allowances. According to Answers Africa, the current President of Cameroon Paul Diya is the highest paid African president at the moment.
Paul who has held sway at the country's seat of power since November 1982 receives $620, 976 as pay.
The top 20 list of the highest paid African presidents in 2021 as complied by Africa Info 247 are as follows:
1. Paul Biya, Cameroon - $620,976
2. King Mohammed VI, Morocco - $488,604
3. Cyril Ramaphosa, South Africa - $223,500
4. Uhuru Kenyatta, Kenya - $192,200
5. Yoweri Museveni, Uganda - $183,216
6. Abdelmadjid Tebboune, Algeria - $168,000
7. Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, Equatorial Guinea -$152,680
8. Emmerson Mnangagwa, Zimbabwe - $146,590
9. Denis Sassou, Republic of Congo - $108,400
10. Alassane Ouattara, Ivory Coast - $100,000
11. George Weah, Liberia- $90,000
12. Paul Kagame, Rwanda -$85,000
13. Nana Akufo-Addo, Ghana - $76,000
14. Lazarus Chakwera, Malawi - $74,300
15. Muhammadu Buhari, Nigeria - $69,000
Nigerians expressed surprise at the nation's President Muhammadu Buhari coming in 15th place on the list and took to the comment section to make their reactions.
"I'm not surprised the Nigerian president isn't on this list,the combination of all these salaries is what he's embezzling on a reg."
"Buhari Nigeria is earning all of them salary per month together."
"Buhari losing this one on Salary
"But must win in allowances n capital flight."
"Buhari can collect lower than that but baba dey see more than that.
"All the borrowed fund from other country, what it was used for is unknown."
Legit.ng, however could not authoritatively verify the authenticity of the figures as of time of making this report.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported about the oldest presidents in Africa alongside their photos and real ages.
Second on this list is Alpha Condé of Guinea.
Currently 83 years old (born in March 4, 1938), according to Wikipedia, Alpha Condé has been in office since December 21, 2010 after playing opposition for decades in Guinea and following an unsuccessful shot at the vice presidency in 1993 and 1998.
79-year-old (January 1st, 1942) Ouattara is third on this list. The Ph.D and master's holder in economics has been in the Côte d’Ivoire seat of power since 2011.