- Plans of another protest at the Lekki Toll Gate has gotten the federal government's attention
- The government has declared that it will not allow the planned demonstration slated for Saturday, February 13
- This was made known by the minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed, in Abuja
Ahead of the fresh protest at Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos state by #EndSARS protesters, the federal government has vowed to crush any demonstration.
Speaking on Thursday, February 11, in Abuja, the minister of culture and information, Lai Mohammed, said all security agencies have been alerted to stop any protest.
The minister's reaction was shared in a series of tweets sighted by Legit.ng on the official Twitter page of the ministry of information and culture, Nigeria.
Mohammed warned those planning any protest to block the toll gate from Saturday, February 13, to shelve it.
He explained that though peaceful protests are the constitutional rights of Nigerians, there are very high chances that the demonstration will be hijacked.
The minister went on to note that intelligence report indicates many of those who are advertising the protest are not in Nigeria.
CBN ordered to unfreeze bank accounts of EndSARS protesters
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that an Abuja court ordered the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to unfreeze the accounts of 20 protesters who took part in the EndSARS demonstrations in 2020.
The order was issued by Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday, February 10.
The judge said all affected banks should immediately unfreeze the affected accounts of the protesters who were previously facing an embargo by the apex bank.
Lekki shootings: 400 residents displaced
In a related development, the Lagos State Task Force on Environmental and Sanitation (Enforcement) Unit allegedly demolished and burned some houses in Lekki on Wednesday, February 10.
The incident left about 400 residents on Foreshore Road, Lekki, displaced, adding that a team of policemen from the Maroko division was also involved in the demolition.
A member of the community who spoke anonymously was quoted saying that the residents were only given 24 hours to remove their property.
Oluwatobi Bolashodun is a Legit.ng journalist with six years of working experience in the media industry. She graduated from Babcock University in 2012 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication. Oluwatobi is a Current Affairs Editor, mostly writing breaking news as well as political, educational, and business topics. She uses her team spirit to encourage others to work hard.