- Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi state has been at the forefront of women empowerment
- The governor is specifically empowering Kogi women politically and giving them strategic portfolios in the state
- The action of the governor has not gone unnoticed by influential women groups in the country
The National Council of Women Societies (NCWS) recently awarded Kogi state chief executive, Alhaji Yahaya Bello the award of ‘The most gender-sensitive governor in Nigeria.’
The NCWS also decorated Governor Bello as a ‘HE 4 SHE of NIGERIA WOMEN’ which bestows on him the honour of a goodwill ambassador.
The NCWS said in a statement seen by Legit.ng:
“The government of Alhaji Yahaya Bello has gone far beyond the 35% affirmative action for women and has made Kogi state a pacesetter and a model in gender inclusiveness.
“This nomination is in recognition of the purposeful and conscious effort of his government to place women in sensitive and strategic positions in the governance structure of Kogi state.”
Governor Bello have in recent times, been getting awards for recognising women and given them strategic roles in Kogi state.
This has given the governor the moniker 'The Most Women Friendly Governor' in Nigeria.
The governor is reputed to have ensured that:
1. 63 female councilors emerged in the last Kogi state local government election
2. 21 female vice chairmen emerged during the election
3. 21 female council leaders emerged at the ward level of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kogi state
4. The only governor with a female Aide-De-Camp in Nigeria
5. Appointed a woman as the secretary to the Kogi state government
6. Appointed a woman as the Head of Service of the Kogi state government
Supporters of the governor have been using it as a basis to push for his candidacy in the 2023 presidential election.
They have also cited his achievements in security as one of the reasons for Nigerians to hand him the APC ticket, as the country battles widespread insecurity in the last few years.
Recall that a political movement supporting Alhaji Yahaya Bello’s presidential ambition, PYB FRONTIERS recently called on Nigerians to rally round the governor to ensure that he succeeds President Muhammadu Buhari.
The leader of the group, Hans Mohammed in a statement sent to journalists on Tuesday, January 12 and seen by Legit.ng said the movement has commenced consultation activities that will ensure the governor emerges as the candidate of the APC in 2023.
The group insisted that a Bello-led presidency would be an added advantage to Nigeria and its citizens, stressing that he would be able to build on the legacies of President Buhari.
Recently, campaign posters of the Kogi state governor carrying inscriptions of his rumoured presidential ambition surfaced on some major roads in Kano state.
The posters were pasted at strategic locations in the state, including parts of Murtala Muhammad Way, Airport road, and Sani Marshal road.
Supreme Court affirm Yahaya Bello's victory as Kogi State Governor | Legit TV
Source: Legit Newspaper