- Current Governor: Yahaya Adoza Bello
- Founded: August 27, 1991
- Area: 29,833 km2
- Capital: Lokoja
- Geopolitical Zone: North Central
- HD1 (2021): 0.557; medium, 23 of 37
- ISO 3166 code: NG-KO
- Population: 3.3 million
- Postal Code: 260001
- Official Website
- Slogan: The Confluence State
Kogi state is located in the north central part of Nigeria. It is bordered by the states of Nasarawa to the northeast, Benue to the east, Enugu, Anambra, and Delta to the south, Ondo, Ekiti, and Kwara to the west, and Niger to the north.
Abuja Federal Capital Territory also borders Kogi to the north. The state is nicknamed the “Confluence State'' because the confluence of the River Niger and River Benue occurs next to its capital, Lokoja.
Of the 36 states of Nigeria, Kogi is the 13th largest in area and 20th most populous with an estimated population of about 4.5 million as of 2016.
- 1. Danladi Mohammed Zakari (Military Administrator): 28 August 1991 - January 1992
- 2. Abubakar Audu (NRC Governor): January 1992 - November 1993
- 3. Colonel Paul Omeruo (Military Administrator): 9 December 1993 - 22 August 1996
- 4. Colonel Bzigu Afakirya (Military Administrator): 22 August 1996 - August 1998
- 5. Augustine Aniebo (Military Administrator): August 1998 - May 1999
- 6. Abubakar Audu (APP/ANPP Governor): 29 May 1999 - 29 May 2003
- 7. Ibrahim Idris (PDP Governor): 29 May 2003 - 6 February 2008
- 8. Clarence Olafemi (PDP Acting Governor): 6 February 2008 - 29 March 2008
- 9. Ibrahim Idris (PDP Governor): 29 March 2008 - January 2011
- 10. Idris Wada (PDP Governor): January 2012 - January 2016
- 11. Alhaji Yahaya Adoza Bello (APC Governor): January 2016 - present
Kogi state was formed from parts of Benue, Niger, and Kwara states on August 27, 1991.
Prince Abubakar Audu University (formerly Kogi State University) is located at Anyigba. It was established in 1999 by Prince Abubakar Audu, the former governor of the state.
Some famous people from Kogi state include:
- Jeff Akoh: Nigerian singer and vocalist.
- Jaywon: Nigerian singer/songwriter.
- Praiz: Nigerian R&B songwriter, producer and singer.