- Former CBN deputy governor, Obadiah Mailafia, has said he got his information on the Boko Haram insurgency from traders
- Mailafia made this known after his interaction with the DSS over the sensitive allegations he made on the insurgency
- The former CBN deputy governor, however, apologised to all those who were offended by his statements, adding they were not targeted at anyone
PAY ATTENTION: Click See First under the Following tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
Former deputy governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Obadiah Mailafia, has explained the source of his information on an alleged commander of Boko Haram.
According to a report by Daily Trust indicates that Mailafia said on Thursday, August 13, that he got his information from traders he met in a local market.
The newspaper said Mailafia made this known during an interview he granted to the BBC Hausa service.
The former deputy governor of the CBN had alleged that an unnamed governor in the northern part of the country was a commander of Boko Haram.
He claimed he got the information via his interaction with some Fulani traders he met in his village market.
Mailafia, however, said he apologised to all those who were offended by his statements, adding they were not targeted at anyone. He also said they were not aimed at causing trouble.
Recall that the former CBN deputy governor had on Monday, August 10, during a programme on Nigeria Info 99.3 radio station alleged that the commander of Boko Haram is a governor of one of the Northern states, alleging that the group plans to instigate a civil war in the country in 2022.
Following the allegation, the Department of State Security (DSS) in Plateau state on Wednesday, August 13, grilled Mailafia for hours after which he was allowed to go home.
Mailafia said he had agreed to an online radio interview with people who were unknown to him from Lagos, but did not know that they were recording it.
He said even though he did not intend for his comments to go viral, he cannot deny making them, adding that he was a fan of President Muhammadu Buhari and was passionate about northern Nigeria and the people who have suffered the consequences of the killings.
Regarding what happened at the DSS office, the former CBN deputy governor said: "When they invited me they told me they had seen a video clip in which I said I was against the killings of innocent people and that I met with some people who told me that when they are done with the villages, they will move to the cities and go after big personalities in their homes and lead to war in the country. That was what I heard and I repeated it.”
He said during the interrogation, the security agents accorded him with the utmost respect.
“They did their job as they should and I cooperated with them. I gave them the necessary information at my disposal and I cannot lie about what I do not know, so I told them to pardon me because I cannot say what I don’t know. It was not my intention for my words to go viral but since it has gone viral, I cannot say I did not make that comment,” he said.
When asked to speak further on the allegation of a northern governor being a commander of Boko Haram, he said he had already spoken to the DSSS and would not want to create tension.
“What I can tell you is that I am a fan of President Muhammadu Buhari and the president is doing his utmost best but there are some wicked people around him who do not give him the right advice.
“I am not a troublesome person, my name is Mailafia (peace lover), I said what I said because of my sympathy for the people, my love for northern Nigeria. They are those who have been accusing me of not being a northern patriot but the killings are more in northern Nigeria," he said.
Meanwhile, Nigeria Info 99.3FM, a popular radio station in Lagos, has been slammed with a sum of N5 million by the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC).
The fine was imposed on the radio station on Thursday, August 13, by the regulatory commission, because it allegedly provided its platform to be used to promote unverifiably and inciting views.
Coming on the heels of a comment made by Mailaifa, NBC in a statement said it was concerned with "the unprofessional conduct of Nigeria Info 99.3FM, Lagos, in the handling of the Programme, “Morning Cross Fire."
Soldiers have killed 92 Boko Haram members in the past week - Major General Enenche | Legit TV