At the time Kogi State governorship election results were announced, Yahaya Bello was leading. The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, declared the All Progressives Congress(APC) candidate the winner of the governorship election in Kogi State. Even so, the opposition party did not agree with the results for the Kogi State governor election.
So, who is who is Kogi State governor? The Kogi State governorship election 2019 polls were in Bello's favour with him garnering 406,222 votes against his contestant's 189,704. This put Musa Wada of the official opposition party, Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, second. The results began streaming in from different polling stations after the conclusion of the voting exercise.
Kogi State governorship election results - exact scores
Announcing the results of the new Kogi State governor 2019, the returning officer and Vice-Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria, Professor Ibrahim Garuba explained that Bello was declared the winner because he had a lot more votes than the other contestants.
Umar said the total number of cancelled votes were 149,576 and that the margin of lead was 216,518. The other contestant, Mrs Natasha Akpoti, of the Social Democratic Party SDP was third in the election, getting 9,482 votes. At the end of it all, it was clear who won Kogi State governorship election.
Breakdown of the election results in Kogi
Different local governments voted differently with some of the cast votes being rejected for various reasons. The following are the captured results from the various regions for both the APC and PDP parties.
- Olamaboro voted 16,876 for APC and 8,155 for PDP
- Idah had 4,602 for APC and 13,962 for PDP
- Yagba West voted 7,868 for APC and 8,860 for PDP
- Ajaokuta had 17,952 votes for APC and 5,565 for PDP
- Mopa-muro- 4,953 for APC and 3,581 for PDP
- Okehi- 36,954 APC and 478 for PDP
- Yagba East - 6,735 for APC and 7,546 for PDP
- Koton Karfe - 14,097 for APC and 9,404 for PDP
- Kabba/Bunu - 15,364 for APC and 8,084 for PDP
- Okene - 112,762 for APC and 139 for PDP
- Igala Mela/Odolu - 8,075 for APC and 11,195 for PDP
- Adavi - 64,657 for APC and 366 for PDP
- Omala - 8,473 for APC and 14,403 for PDP
- Ijumu - 11,425 for APC and 7,585 for PDP
- Ogori-Magongo - 3,679 for APC and 2,145 for PDP
- Bassa - 8,386 for APC and 9,724 for PDP
- Ankpa - 11,269 for APC and 28,108 for PDP
- Ofu - 11,006 for APC and 12,264 for PDP
- Dekina - 8,948 for APC and 16,575 for PDP
- Ibaji - 12, 682 for APC and 10, 504 for PDP
- Lokoja - 19,457 for APC and 11,045 for PDP
The totals came to 406, 222 votes for APC and 189,704 for PDP
Reactions that followed after the results
The opposition was against the outcome of the results in Kogi State. PDP's candidate said the following about the results in Abuja.
The candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party and the overwhelming majority of the people of Kogi State reject the conduct and outcome of the gubernatorial election held on Nov. 16, 2019,
Also, there were reports of violence during the election and at least 10 people were said to have lost their lives in the violence. Yahaya Bello condemned the violence in the strongest terms possible.
Yahaya Bello, who is the governor-elect, came forward in a different press briefing and expressed his condemnation for the violence.
I condemn in strong terms the violence in Kogi state.
The president was not left behind as he expressed his sympathy to the affected families. He had a message for the people of Kogi through his media advisor.
All political actors and stakeholders must take deliberate steps to eschew electoral violence, as a peaceful and orderly process is vital to the quest for enduring democracy.
Social media reactions after Kogi's elections
Nigerians have also had something to say about the recently concluded elections.
Congratulatory messages for Yahaya Bello continued to stream in after the official results were announced. Even so, it appears as if some people felt that the governor-elect did not deserve it.
Here is another Twitter user who feels that the numbers may not be a true representation of reality. It appears as though the Kogi State 2019 governorship election results were not as expected.
Yet another Twitter follower takes the opportunity to advise the governor-elect.
The Kogi State governorship election results elicited a lot of emotional reactions from different circles. Kogi's residents now know who their new governor is and the only thing left is to work with him.