Thanos is probably one of, if not the worst, villains to ever appear in the Marvel Universe. Not only was he incredibly powerful, but it also took the combined efforts of all the Avengers, old and new, to take him down. These Thanos quotes show just how incredible and dangerous he was.
The Mad Titan was a force to be reckoned with. He never let anyone or anything stand in his way and with just a snap of his finger, destroyed half of the earth and was also willing to destroy the whole world in the second movie.
Here are some of his most famous quotes that show exactly how unapologetic and unwavering he was.
Thanos quotes Infinity War
- All that for a drop of blood.
- You're strong but I could snap my fingers and you would all cease to exist
This is probably one of Thanos best quotes. Not only is it very literal and tells exactly how powerful he is with the infinity gauntlet but it also shows how insignificant the Avengers all are compared to him.
- Fun isn’t something one considers when balancing the universe. But this… does put a smile on my face.
The Mad Titan never considered mass murder fun but since the Avengers had been such a thorn in his side, he did feel some kind of satisfaction in killing them. This line can only be found in the trailer as it was cut from the movie.
- When I’m done, half of humanity will still exist. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be. I hope they remember you.
- Stark… you have my respect. I hope the people of earth will remember you.
Considered as one of the best Thanos quotes, it can be seen as a premonition. While it is just part of the Infinity War Thanos quotes, it came true at the end of Endgame. Iron Man, aka Tony Stark, died saving humanity and fans of the Marvel Universe still mourn his demise.
- I know what it’s like to lose. To feel so desperately that you’re right, yet to fail nonetheless. Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.
- Going to bed hungry. Scrounging for scraps. Your planet was on the brink of collapse. I was the one who stopped that. Do you know what’s happened since then? The children born have known nothing but full bellies and clear skies. It’s a paradise.
He said this to his adopted daughter, Gamora, as he explained his actions where he destroyed half the population on her home planet.
- Little one, it's simple calculus. This universe is finite, its resources, finite. If life is left unchecked, life will cease to exist. It needs correcting.
- I ignored my destiny once, I can not do that again. Even for you. I’m sorry Little one.
Probably one of the saddest Thanos quotes from Infinity War. He said this before he dragged Gamora and threw her off the cliff to get the Soul Stone.
- With all six stones, I can simply snap my fingers, they would all cease to exist. I call that mercy.”
- The hardest choices require the strongest wills.
These two Thanos Infinity War quotes were both said to Dr. Strange as the Mad Titan tried to explain why he thought destroying life was the solution to the problems in the universe
- It was beautiful. Titan was like most planets; too many mouths, not enough to go around. And when we faced extinction, I offered a solution.
- Thanos: Daughter.
Young Gamora: Did you do it?
Young Gamora: What did it cost?
This is one of the saddest scenes in Infinity War. While the antagonist was able to complete his mission and restore his version of balance to the world, he ended up losing the most important thing to him, his daughter, Gamora.
- Your optimism is misplaced, Asgardian.
Said to Loki who believed that Thanos could be defeated by the Hulk
- You should have gone for the head.
Another one of the most famous Thanos quotes, it refers to when the God of Thunder, Thor, thought that he had defeated the Mad Titan at the end of Infinity War by stabbing him in his chest. Thanos tells him that an aim to the head would have been better. Thor later aims for the head and kills the antagonist.
- Today I lost more than you could know, but now is no time to mourn. Now, is no time at all
- You’re strong. Me… You’re generous. Me… But I never taught you to lie. That’s why you’re so bad at it
- The Tesseract… or your brother’s head. I assume you have a preference?
- No resurrections this time
Thanos quotes Endgame
In the second movie, the Mad Titan was not in a lot of scenes as this installment followed the superhero protagonists more than the antagonist. Despite this, Thanos Endgame quotes were just as powerful as those in the previous movie.
- You could not live with your own failure, and where did that bring you? Back to me.
- I thought that by eliminating half of life, the other half would thrive. But you have shown me... that's impossible. As long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those, that are unable to accept what can be. They will resist
- I will shred this universe down to its last atom and then, with the stones you've collected for me, create a new one. It is not what is lost but only what it is been given... a grateful universe.
He said this to Captain America and Iron Man. The Avengers had collected the stones via time travel with the hope of using them against Thanos but the Mad Titan took them back. Because the superheroes had caused him so much grief by always fighting back and refusing to cower to him, he would take revenge by destroying the whole world.
- In all my years of conquest, violence, slaughter, it was never personal. But I'll tell you now, what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet... I'm gonna enjoy it. Very, very much.
These words were said to Captain America. While before, the Mad Titan had not taken pleasure in killing people, this time he had changed his mindset. This was because unlike the other planets where all had been destroyed with near to no fight, on earth, the Avengers fought him back at every instance. This annoyed him.
- I used the stones to destroy the stones. It nearly killed me. But the work is done. It always will be.
- Avengers... Unloyal wretches.
- The universe required correction. After that, the stones served no purpose beyond temptation.
- I am inevitable
Of all Thanos quotes, this is probably the most chilling one. He said it several times during Endgame, reminding the superheroes that no matter what they did, he would still be back to destroy them.
While he was defeated and killed at the end of Avengers Endgame, these Thanos quotes still remind us of how powerful and scary he was. He is one character that shall not be forgotten.