The Dark Knight Rises is considered to be one of the best superhero movies ever created. Before DC and Marvel's fans start the entire 'Which one is better' argument, let's dig deeper into the heart of the movie's antagonist, Bane. The brutal guerrilla terrorist is known for his quotes, which truly defined the film's best moments. Here are 15 of the best Bane quotes of all time.
There are many Bane Batman quotes that still send chills down the film's fans eight years after its release. The quotes are not only entertaining, but they also give viewers an inside look into what the character is all about; his past, weaknesses, strengths, and what he is most proud of. Enjoy these 15 Bane quotes Dark Knight Rises.
Dark Knight Rises Bane quotes
Here are some of the most famous Batman Bane quotes:
- Oh, you think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me."
- There is no such thing as childhood. it's a myth.
- It doesn't matter who we are. The only thing that matters is our plan. Nobody cared who i was until i put on the mask
- We will destroy Gotham... then you have my permission to die
- Home, where I learned the truth about despair, as will you. There's a reason why this prison is the worst hell on earth... Hope. Every man who has ventured here over the centuries has looked up to the light and imagined climbing to freedom. So easy... So simple... And like shipwrecked men turning to sea water from uncontrollable thirst, many have died trying. I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope. So, as I terrorize Gotham, I will feed its people hope to poison their souls. I will let them believe they can survive so that you can watch them clamoring over each other to "stay in the sun." You can watch me torture an entire city and when you have truly understood the depth of your failure, we will fulfill Ra's al Ghul's destiny... We will destroy Gotham and then, when it is done and Gotham is ashes, then you have my permission to die.
- We take Gotham from the corrupt! The rich! The oppressors of generations who have kept you down with myths of opportunity, and we give it back to you... the people. Gotham is yours. None shall interfere. Do as you please. Start by storming Blackgate, and freeing the oppressed! Step forward those who would serve. For an army will be raised. The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests, and cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed. Blood will be shed. The police will survive, as they learn to serve true justice. This great city... it will endure. Gotham will survive!
- I'd kill for anything. I'd kill to silence a grating voice, to darken the light in the eyes that dared look at me.
- Speak of the devil and he shall appear.
- We both know that I now have to kill you. You'll just have to imagine the fire!
- Now, this bomb is armed! This bomb is mobile! And the identity of the triggerman is a mystery. For one of you holds the detonator! And we came here not as conquerors, but as liberators to return control of this city to the people. And at the first sign of interference from the outside world, or for those people attempting to flee, this anonymous Gothamite - this unsung hero - will trigger the bomb. For now, martial law is in effect. Return to your homes, hold your families close, and wait. Tomorrow you claim what is rightfully yours.
- Let the games begin! - This is one of the most popular Bane Dark Knight Rises quotes. The antagonist says these words after listening to the national anthem before the Gotham football game. Soon after the anthem ends, he hits a detonator, and bombs go off across Gotham.
- "I am not a joke. I am not a riddle! I am not a bird or a cat or a penguin! I'm not a scarecrow or a plant or a puppet! I am not your broken friend! I am not your regretful teacher! I am not a child's fairy tale! I am not a circus act here to amuse and frighten you! I am not another one of your madmen howling at the moon! And I...I am not...I am not some rich boy playing dress-up! I AM Bane!"
- I am Bane...and I could kill you... but death would only end your agony...and silence your shame. Instead, I will simply... BREAK YOU!
- Behind you stands a symbol of oppression, Blackgate Prison. Where a thousand men have languished under the name of this man, Harvey Dent, who has been held up to you as the shining example of justice. You have been supplied with a false idol to stop you from tearing down this corrupt city. Let me tell you the truth about Harvey Dent, from the words of Gotham's police commissioner, James Gordon: "The Batman didn't murder Harvey Dent. He saved my boy and took the blame for Harvey's appalling crime, so that I could, to my shame, build a lie around this fallen idol. I praised the mad man who tried to murder my own child. While I can no longer live with my lie, it is time to trust the people of Gotham with the truth, and it is time for me to resign." And do you accept this man's resignation? And do you accept the resignation of all these liars? Of all the corrupt? We take Gotham from the corrupt, the rich, the oppressors of generations who kept you down with myths of opportunity, and we give it back to you, the people. Gotham is yours. None shall interfere, do as you please. Start by storming Blackgate and free the oppressed. Step forward, those who would serve, for an army will be raised. The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests and cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened, spoils will be enjoyed. Blood will be shed. The police will survive as they learn to survive true justice. This great city... it will endure. Gotham will survive.
- Round them up for judgement. And hang them where the world can see.
Although it is difficult to determine which are the absolute best Bane quotes from the film, the ones we have mentioned above are surely worth talking about, don't you think?
If you are a Batman fan, then you know that apart from Bane, another famous opponent of the protagonist in the franchise is The Joker. Knowing that we have decided that apart from listing the best Bane quotes Batman alone, we will also provide a list of the most famous Heath Ledger Joker quotes.
- I believe, whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you...stranger.
- It's not about money... it's about sending a message. Everything burns!
- To them, you're just a freak, like me! They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you out, like a leper! You see, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
- Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! You know, I just...DO things.
- Do you want to know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the… little emotions...you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I know your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?
- Come here. Hey! Look at me. So I had a wife, beautiful, like you, who tells me I worry too much. Who tells me I ought to smile more. Who gambles and gets in deep with the sharks…look at me! One day, they carve her face. And we have no money for surgeries. She can't take it. I just want to see her smile again, hmm? I just want her to know that I don't care about the scars. So… I stick a razor in my mouth and do this…[he mimics slicing his mouth open]…to myself. And you know what? She can't stand the sight of me! She leaves. Now I see the funny side. Now I'm always smiling!
- Oh, you. You just couldn't let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't kill you because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
- Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was…a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not one bit. So—me watching—he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it! Turns to me, and he says, "Why so serious, son?" Comes at me with the knife... "Why so serious?" He sticks the blade in my mouth… "Let's put a smile on that face!
- If you're good at something, never do it for free.
- This town deserves a better class of criminal, and I'm gonna give it to 'em.
- Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.
- I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve.
- I believe that whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you...stranger.
- You have nothing, nothing to threaten me with! Nothing to do with all your strength!
Interesting Q&A section
Here are answers to the most commonly asked questions about Bane and the Batman franchise in general.
1. Why does Bane wear the mask?
According to the director of The Dark Knight Rises, Christopher Nolan:
Bane is someone ravaged by pain from a trauma suffered long ago, and the mask dispenses a type of anesthetic that keeps his pain just below the threshold so he can function. He was injured early in his story. He's suffering from pain, and he needs gas to survive. He cannot survive the pain without the mask. The pipes from the mask go back along his jawline and feed into the thing at the back where there are two canisters of whatever it is…the anesthetic.
However, according to DC Comics, Bane wears the mask because he has to be dosed with a supply of a drug called "venom".
2. How does Bane become Bane?
According to DC Comics, this is Bane's history that describes how he became a villain:
Born in a prison on a remote Caribbean island, Bane was raised without pity or compassion. As an adult, he served as a test subject for the super-steroid called Venom. Superhumanly strong, Bane escaped his hell and headed to Gotham City—where he chose to make his mark by defeating the Batman. Though he succeeded, their initial battle was far from their last. Since then, Bane has repeatedly tried to amass not only power, but territory, whether it's Gotham City or his home of Santa Prisca. Often at war with his personal dependence on the super-serum that gives him his strength, Bane will never stop fighting to prove he deserves to rule.
3. What does Bane sound like?
There are many jokes about how Bane sounds like. In the film, this character is played by Tom Hardy, but he does not just sound like Tom.
According to critics (information obtained from indiewire.com), this is what Bane from The Dark Knight Rises sounds like:
- …Vincent Price talking through a window fan. (Nick Pinkerton, Village Voice)
- …somewhere between Yoda post-testosterone patch and Sean Connery on appletinis. (Michelle Orange, Movieline)
- …Bill Cosby speaking with an English accent through a Darth Vader filter. (samzepus, Slashdot)
- …Darrell Hammond imitating Sean Connery through a vocoder. (@sternbergh)
- …Darrell Hammond imitating Sean Connery while trapped in a well. (@KyleKallgren)
- …a cross between Sean Connery and Krang from "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." (@LaurenFairley88)
4. What is the story of The Dark Knight Rises?
The Dark Knight Rises is a 2012 film set eight years after The Joker's reign of anarchy. The film follows the protagonists (Batman and Catwoman) who join forces to save Gotham City from Bane, a terrorist.
Bane defeats Batman in combat and proceeds to manipulate the citizens of Gotham City until Batman's recovery and return to save the city.
Tom Hardy plays Bane. Other prominent stars in the film include Christian Bale, who plays Batman, and Anne Hathaway, who portrays Catwoman.
The film's writers are Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan. The latter directed the film.
The Dark Knight Rises has been nominated for one BAFTA Film Award (2013) under the Best Special Visual Effects category. The film has also won 38 awards and it has 101 nominations.
Bane quotes remind fans of The Dark Knight Rises of how the villain terrorized the citizens of Gotham City and also of how his past shaped him. The quotes are a true reflection of who the villain is and what inspires him.
Source: Legit Newspaper