If you are looking for a pocket-friendly phone with decent specs and features, then Nokia 5 is one of the best recommendations for you. It is a mid-range Android smartphone released back in 2017 and is available in many countries across the world, including Nigeria.
What is Nokia 5 release date? Well, the handset was launched by HMD Global Oy at the 2017 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, alongside Nokia 6, Nokia 3, and Nokia 3310.
Before deciding to buy the smartphone, you may need to look at the pros and cons of using it and compare it with other brands.
- It has a premium metal design for better protection and to enhance aesthetics.
- The phone is available at a pocket-friendly price.
- Like most expensive smartphones, the device also has a fingerprint scanner for security despite its low price.
- It has a microSD slot to expand the storage capacity.
- It is not the best phone for photography
- The device has a low internal memory
Nokia 5 specs
What makes the device a good phone? Here are Nokia 5 all details, including the specifications that make it stand out in the market compared to other mid-range smartphones.
- CPU: Octa-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53
- Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8937 Snapdragon 430 (28 nm)
- GPU: Adreno 505
- OS: Android 7.1.1 (Nougat), upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Display: 5.2-inch IPS, 720 x 1280 pixels (282ppi)
- RAM: 2GB/3GB
- ROM: 16GB
- External memory: Up to 256 GB using the microSD slot
- Camera: 13MP rear camera and 8MP front camera
- Battery: 3000 mAh Li-ion (non-removable)
- SIM: Single SIM or Dual SIM
- Colours: Tempered Blue, Silver, Matte Black, Copper
- Sensors: Fingerprint (front), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
You can also take a look at Nokia 5 features, including its software and hardware details.
The device has a simple and attractive look and is available in Tempered Blue, Silver, Matte Black, Copper colours. It has a metal body and a Corning Gorilla Glass that protects the body. The home button also serves as the fingerprint sensor. At the back is a horizontal housing with the camera and flash.
The handset weighs 160g, which makes it easily portable. Its smooth body also adds to its value and durability.
The smartphone has a 5.2-inch HD display and Octa-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53 Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 processor. The resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels is suitable for watching videos and movies on the device.
It also uses an LCD screen that produces very bright and sharp images instead of AMOLED, which is quite common.
Processor, performance, and storage
The phone has a Qualcomm MSM8937 Snapdragon 430 (28 nm) chipset. When it comes to memory, the device only has 16GB ROM and a 2GB/3GB RAM. A memory card of up to 256GB can be used to expand its capacity.
Nokia 5 battery capacity
The smartphone comes with an in-built battery of 3,000mAh which is likely to take you through the whole day. If you love watching movies or playing games on the phone, then the charge is not enough to carry you through the day. When connected to Wi-Fi with increased screen brightness, the battery drains fast.
Like most mid-range smartphones, the device is also charged through a microUSB port located on the base of the phone but it usually takes time to top up. There is no wireless charging option.
Speakers and audio quality
The device has a single speaker located at the back, which does not provide high quality. The sound gets distorted as you increase the volume. It uses an audio jack of 3.5mm.
The Nokia 5 Android phone comes with fantastic software features that set it apart from other budget smartphones.
OS and features
The device first came with Android 7.1.1 (Pure Android). The good news is that users can now upgrade the operating system to the powerful Android 9.0 (Pie).
Nokia 5 camera
The handset is not the best for photography. With a 13MP back camera, you are not going to get quality pictures and videos. For the selfie camera, 8MP is also not a good deal, but it can take reasonably good photos for social media.
It is difficult to control settings such as shutter speed and white balance, which sometimes means images may appear dark or with shadows.
Where to buy it
The phone is available in many stores at relatively low prices. Nokia 5 price in Nigeria starts from N37, 999 when you buy it from Jumia. You can also shop for Nokia 5 accessories on the same site.
Nokia 5 review
Here are some comments about the phone obtained from YouTube.
- Wen Thang: Why bother with no water, dust & drop resistant certificate? It is Nokia. The look already speaks itself.
- 11919 11919: This is the best phone I've had so far.
- Z/dos: I have to deal with 4GB of space on Sony Xperia m4 aqua so 16GB is quite good to get by on.
Nokia 5 is an excellent handset for low budget users, but it still has shortcomings when it comes to the camera, memory, and its speakers. Perhaps, you may consider topping up some amount from what you have to go for a better handset that suits your needs.
Do you think Nokia 5 has what it takes to compete in the current market? Are users getting more than what they pay for by buying the smartphone?