By viewing our marriage in the context of Bible quotes about love, we give the Lord the opportunity to reveal the true understanding of relationships and strengthen the bonds of marriage. God did not give us the conditions and responsibilities of marriage in order to destroy our freedom. He just wants us to know the best way to live. These inspirational bible verses about love, respect and pliability are not always consistent with modern ideas about them, but He who created marriage knows exactly how to make it happy.
What does the bible say about love?
- 1 Peter 4:8: Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.
- Ephesians 5:25: Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,
- Ephesians 5:22-33: Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, ...
- 1 Corinthians 13:1-13: If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; ...
- Genesis 1:27: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
- Ephesians 5:25-33: Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, ...
- 1 Corinthians 7:12-16: To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace. For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?
- John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
- Romans 1:26-27: For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.
- Revelation 19:7-9: Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure”— for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:17: Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
- Matthew 4:4: But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
READ ALSO: Bible verses about the power of faith
- Song of Solomon 8:7: Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. If a man offered for love all the wealth of his house, he would be utterly despised.
- Romans 5:5: And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
- 1 John 4:11: Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-5: Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
- 1 John 4:16-19: So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world. There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. We love because he first loved us.
- Ephesians 3:17-19: So that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
- John 15:12-13: “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.
- John 3:16-17: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
- Galatians 5:13-14: For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
- Psalm 143:8: Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
- Matthew 5:43-48: “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? ...
- 1 Corinthians 13:4: Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant
- Ephesians 4:32: Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
- Psalm 86:15: But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.
- Psalm 63:3: Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.
- Proverbs 8:17: I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me.
- 1 Corinthians 10:24: Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.
- Isaiah 43:4: Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life.
When these best Bible quotes about love and marriage are chosen by the husband and wife as an example, they live in harmony with their relationship as regenerated believers - this is the biblical marriage. This relationship is not one-sided, but one that corresponds to the idea of Christ as the heads of husband and wife together. Thus, the biblical idea of marriage lies in the unity of two individuals, which reflects the unity of Christ with His Church.
READ ALSO: God quotes about life