How to transfer airtime on MTN: a comprehensive guide (2023)
Do you want to know how to transfer airtime on MTN? There are easy ways to share your MTN airtime credit with any MTN phone number of your choice. Mobile users can share their credit through one simple code and easily complete this simple process within seconds. Follow our detailed guide to learn how to use this service without any hassle.
Airtime credit is the amount of money you pay to your service providers for you to enjoy the services they provide, such as making phone calls and browsing the internet.
Almost all telephone network service providers in Nigeria have features that allow users to transfer their airtime credits to other customers. You can transfer airtime on MTN to another MTN phone number for whatever you like. You can do it in exchange for cash, or you can do it just to share what you have with others.
How to transfer airtime on MTN
This service is the same as MTN Share. So, for customers of this service provider who may be confused, the MTN Share service is not different from the airtime transfer service; the processes are the same.
All MTN customers have access to this service. However, you must be aware of the rules of this service. Also, there are terms and conditions that postpaid users should consider before making use of this service.
The main rules include:
- Only amounts stated in Naira can be transferred. Kobo transactions are not supported, so your credit should look like 50.00 Naira and not 50.29 Naira.
- It is possible to send from 50 to 5,000 Naira per transaction.
- The daily transfer amount limit is N100,000. Note that you can transfer this amount to only one MTN phone number or several MTN phone numbers daily.
- You can make airtime transfers as many times as you want daily. Only note that your total daily transfer amount must not exceed N100,000.
- Postpaid users on the network can only transfer airtime when the balance in their postpaid account is positive, not negative. For instance, as a postpaid user, you would be unable to transfer credit when you have -N500.00.
- For prepaid customers of the mobile service provider, you can not transfer an airtime credit amount higher than the credit balance on your phone line. This means you must have enough airtime credit on your phone to cover the amount you wish to transfer to another customer.
The service works through individually selected PIN codes to ensure only the owner of the telephone number can transfer his or her credit. This also helps to protect the sender's phone line from being used to transfer airtime credits to others without the sender's consent.
MTN Share is protected with a personal identifier number (PIN) option. All MTN users have the same default PIN number, which is 0000.
It is impossible to share money using this default PIN code. Anyone who wishes to enjoy the benefits of the service has to change their MTN transfer code before transferring the credit.
At any moment, it is possible to recharge anyone’s MTN account by using your own airtime credit. But before you can do this, you must create a personal identification number by changing the default PIN.
How to change the MTN airtime transfer code
- Think about your new PIN code. Your new four-digit number should be complicated, not like 1234 or 5678.
- Let’s say you decided to use 5894 as your PIN number (remember, it’s your idea, so come up with your own code). Forward a text message in this format: default PIN followed by your new personal identifier number. Type the new number twice and send it to 777. For example, the message would look like this, 0000 5894 5894.
- Almost immediately, you would get a text that says the PIN modification was successful.
- There is also an alternative method to modify the personal identifier number. Dial and send *777*0000*5894*5894# (where four zero is the original code and 5894 is your new PIN) - press ‘OK’ to complete.
You can use different methods if you want to learn how to share airtime on MTN. And all the methods are listed below.
How to transfer MTN airtime
There are different methods to use when it comes to sharing credit from one MTN telephone line with another.
Method 1: Transfer by SMS
- Send a text message using the short message service to your service provider through 777.
- Send the word ‘Transfer’ followed by the phone number of the person who will receive your credit, followed by the credit amount you wish to send, and your PIN code to 777.
- Let’s say you want to send 1,000 Naira to MTN phone 08035555555, and your PIN is 5894. Type in this message on your device: Transfer 08035555555 1000 5894. Now, just send it to number 777.
- Once the text message is sent, you will receive a network provider's confirmation request. The word ‘YES’ must be sent to the same number 777 to complete this operation.
Method 2: Transfer by USSD
- This method is really simple. All you have to do is dial *777* followed by the recipient's phone number, the amount you want to send, your PIN and the # symbol.
- Once again, if you are planning to transfer 1,000 Naira to the MTN phone line with the number 08035555555 and your PIN is 5894, you need to dial *777*08035555555*1000*5894#. Click the send or OK icon on your device after dialling the code.
This is a great deal; anyone will love these simple MTN airtime transfer features. Also, note that 'BetaTalk' and 'Yanfun Yafun' users are not eligible to share airtime, and bonus airtime cannot be transferred.
How to reset MTN transfer PIN
If you forget your MTN transfer PIN, you may not be able to change this PIN on your device on your own. However, the process is very easy; just dial MTN customer service number 180, and an agent will speak to you and put you through the process of retrieving your lost PIN code.
The process is different if you want to change your PIN, but you can still remember your current PIN. You can get this done through SMS or the USSD code.
For the SMS method, on your device, type and send your current PIN code, followed by your new PIN code typed twice, followed by # to 777.
For example, if your current personal identification number is 1000 and the new PIN you want to change it to is 5894, the SMS you will send to 777 should be exactly like this- 1000 5894 5894#.
To use the USSD method, you must dial *777* your current PIN* your new PIN* your new PIN#, then send the code. If your current personal identification number is 1000 and the new PIN you want to change to is 5894, your USSD code should be exactly like this- *777*1000*5894*5894#.
If you have been searching for how to transfer airtime from MTN to MTN, this guide contains all the information you need to know. Just use the popular MTN Share option to send your credit to people you love as quickly as possible.
READ ALSO: How to share data on Airtel? A simple tutorial (Updated 2021)
Are you looking for a guide on how to share data on Airtel? Legit.ng recently published a detailed guide on how to share internet browsing data on Airtel
Find out how to use the Me2U service from Airtel that allows its subscribers to send data from one Airtel line to another, regardless of where you are. It is not a difficult process.