- A former Nigerian international goalkeeper, Idah Peterside, has called for the dismissal of Super Eagles coach, Jose Peseiro
- Legit.ng reports that Peseiro led the Super Eagles to the final of the AFCON 2023 which ended on Sunday, February 11, 2024
- Peterside asserted that Peseiro’s moment with the national team is over while decrying the Portuguese defensive approach to games which he (Peterside) said is not Nigeria's pattern
Legit.ng journalist Ridwan Adeola Yusuf has over 9 years of experience covering sports and football.
Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire - Former Nigeria goalkeeper turned cleric, Bishop Idah Peterside, has said Super Eagles head coach, José Vítor dos Santos Peseiro, should be sacked by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
Peterside said Peseiro should be fired due to the inability of the Super Eagles to win the just-concluded Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2023.
The South Africa-based former athlete criticised the manager’s defensive approach to games which he said is new to the West African giants.
“You know, a lot of people have asked me yesterday (Sunday, February 11), 'the coach got to the finals, what do you think?’ I said, fire him.”
Peseiro's contract expires
Meanwhile, Peseiro's contract as the Super Eagles coach has expired following the conclusion of AFCON 2023 in Ivory Coast.
The option of a two-year-old deal after meeting the semi-final target is up to Peseiro to decide on.
The Portuguese tactician led Nigeria to the AFCON final where the Super Eagles lost to the Elephant of Côte d’Ivoire, the host nation.
AFCON final: Stakeholder proud of Super Eagles
Reacting to the Super Eagles outing in Ivory Coast, Adepoju Tobi, who covered the event as a sports photographer, asked Nigerians to give the players a standing ovation.
According to him, 22 other countries wanted to be in the final, but only one winner could emerge.
He told Legit.ng:
"There are lessons here and there for the NFF. Football administration does not start and end with the Super Eagles.
"I wanted us to win the AFCON, but we didn't.
"Yes, I know countries with poor football structures have won the AFCON, but we need to start the process of reforms and invest in our football which starts with domestic football.
"The (Super Eagles) players fought, they wanted it just like over 200 million Nigerians. Jose Peseiro said, they wanted to win for the people of Nigeria, but it was not their day. Cote d'Ivoire wanted it more and they got it.
"Football continues, there is another AFCON in 2025, there will be another AFCON in 2027, and so on, but the question - What are we going to do to stand the test, survive the hurdle, and win our fourth AFCON title?"
What to read about Peseiro:
- AFCON 2023: Mourinho sends his love to Super Eagles as he supports best friend, Peseiro
- “It was our worst game”: Peseiro breaks silence, shares reason Super Eagles lost AFCON final
- AFCON 2023: Cracks in Super Eagles camp over Iheanacho's alleged rift with Coach Peseiro
AFCON: Why Ivory Coast defeated Nigeria - Peseiro
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that Peseiro admitted that Ivory Coast were the better side in the 2023 AFCON final played in Abidjan.
Peseiro pointed out in his post-match interview that although his players gave their maximum, they were sad that they could not lift the trophy.
PAY ATTENTION: Donate to Legit Charity on Patreon. Your support matters!