- The Arewa Youth Forum has reacted angrily to the gruesome murder of eight northerners in Abia state recently
- The group in a statement released on Wednesday, condemned the act while calling on the state government to do the needful
- Meanwhile, the group urged the state government Governor Ikpeazu to fulfill his promise by providing compensation for the families and survivors of the attack
The Arewa Youth Forum has expressed deep sadness over the killing of Northerners who are resident in Abia state.
In a statement signed by its national president, Alhaji Yerima Shettima, the group condemned the sad incident.
Shettima called on the governor of the state, Okezie Ikpeazu to ensure the culprit are brought to book.
The AYCF further disclose that all hands would be on deck to monitor closely the efforts of the government on the matter.
The governor deserves commendation: Lagos Assembly applauds Sanwo-Olu as he completes state's rail projects
Do you have a groundbreaking story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through email@example.com!
The statement reads:
"As a group we are still deeply concerned about the murder of Northerners resident in Abia, who are doing legitimate business. We are also deeply touched by the report of scores of others sustaining various degrees of injury and have now been hospitalized.
"Pursuant to this development, we in the AYCF, wish to state as follows:
1. We condemn in totality this dastardly attack on innocent citizens from the North trading to earn a living.
2. We welcome the prompt response of security agencies and the Abia State Government for going after the killers and rushing the injured ones to the hospital.
3.We urge the Abia State Government to pursue its promise to bring the killers to book, in the spirit of national unity and stability.
4. The AYCF will be following closely the efforts of Abia State Government to fulfill its promise of providing compensation for the families and survivors of the attack
5. We pray this should be last bad news we would hear about innocent Northern traders, from not just Abia but the entire Southeast, in the spirit of national unity and stability."
2023: Governor Okezie Ikpeazu makes case for southeast presidency
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had earlier reported that Abia state governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu has said the southeast should be considered for the position of president of Nigeria in 2023 because they know the country more than other people.
Governor Ikpeazu also said that the southeast should not look at the 2023 presidency as a right, rather they should negotiate with other parts of the country on the need to allow the zone to produce the president of the country.
He made the comments while fielding questions from State House correspondents on Thursday, December 30 after President Muhammadu Buhari granted his audience at the Presidential Villa, Aso Rock, Abuja.
2023: Northeast group canvasses support for Orji Uzor Kalu
Meanwhile, a group from the northeast region - Uzor Kalu Support Group (UKSUG) has urged the Chief Whip of the Senate and former governor of Abia state, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu to run for the 2023 presidential election.
The group said Senator Kalu has wide contacts and acceptance across the country to run for the 2023 presidency.
The coordinator of UKSUG in the northeast, Mohammed Ajiji who said this in a statement seen by Legit.ng, added that the group believes that Senator Kalu has the professional and business acumen required to consolidate on the gains so far recorded by the Buhari administration.