- The Borno state government has condemned the recent terrorist attacks in some locations in the outskirts of Maiduguri city, Borno state
- The governor while calling on the military to step up its game in securing the state said the state government will fortify Maiduguri city
- Professor Babagana Zulum also met with some of the residents of 1,000 Housing Estate and two other locations where the rocket blast occurred
Professor Babagana Zulum, the governor of Borno state has called on the Nigerian military to set up operations that could help tackle insurgency attacks in the state.
Zulum made the call on Sunday, December 5, while visiting 1,000 Housing Estate and three other areas in Maiduguri after some suspected Boko Haram fighters launched a rocket attack on the locations.
According to Sahara Reporters, Zulum said the terrorists were quite close to invading Maiduguri main city before detonating the explosives which they carried.
Calling on the military to be alive to their responsibilities, Zulum said some of the terrorist attacks can be avoided.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
"This is something that we can avert its occurrence. For the insurgents to have come such close to fire rockets, I think there is something wrong that we should have to check.”
Channels Television reports that while assuring that the Borno state government would do everything within its power to prevent further attacks in cities in the state, the governor said Maiduguri town has to be fortified.
“We have to fortify Maiduguri town, we have to ensure adequate patrols on a daily basis to avert future attacks."
"I will constitute a small committee to ascertain the level of the damage and advise the government on how to avert future occurrence."
Fresh explosions rock three areas in the outskirts of Maiduguri
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that explosions rocked the Gomari community and the 1,000 Housing Estate in Maiduguri, Borno state on Saturday, December 4.
The explosions suspected to have been triggered by Boko Haram fighters has caused fear and panic in the area, throwing residents into confusion.
An eyewitness said no life was lost while another resident disclosed that members of his family sustained injuries.
Nigerian Army asks Maiduguri residents to remain clam
The Army through its spokesperson said the terrorists made an unsuccessful attempt to maintain some level of relevance in with the explosions.
Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu also said that troops of the Joint Task Force of the northeast, operation Hadin Kai have immediately responded to the breach of security in the city by the terrorists.