- All hope is not lost for the release of Chibok girls who have been in captivity since 2014
- The reassurance was given by the presidency on Wednesday, April 14
- One of President Buhari's media aides, Garba Shehu, said there are indications to believe the girls will be released soon
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates
The presidency on Wednesday, April 14, gave a reassuring report on its efforts to secure the release of Chibok girls who are still in Boko Haram captivity.
Garba Shehu, a presidential media aide, in a press release, disclosed that the Buhari-led federal government has not and cannot give up on the rescue of the girls.
Shehu explained that the Nigerian military is now poised not just to secure the safe release of captives, but to also stamp out terrorism and banditry in the country, adding that a breakthrough is possible very soon.
"The presidency asks for support, understanding, and prayers for the military as they discharge their historic mandate to quickly finish off the insurgency war and free all citizens held hostage."
The aide, therefore, called for the support and prayers of fellow citizens as the freedom of the girls is a work in progress.
Parents of the yet-to-be-released 112 girls kidnapped from Government Girls Secondary School Chibok in Borno state had earlier lamented, saying they want to see their missing daughters before they die.
One of the parents, Bulama Jonah, whose 18-year-old daughter, Amina, was one of the students abducted prayed to live and see the day his child returns home to her family. The man bemoaned that it was tragic for parents to die without seeing their children.
According to him, 17 parents had died since the incident and many others were sick. He, therefore, appealed to the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration to do more in its efforts to defeat Boko Haram and rescue their children.
He added that families were in confusion in the absence of any communication from the government on the whereabouts of the girls.
Musa, whose daughter was 18-year-old at the time of the abduction said life had never been the same.
Before this, there were emerging reports that some of the Chibok girls who were kidnapped by Boko Haram insurgents in Borno since 2014 in Borno state had escaped from captivity.
The parent of one of the escapees, Halima Ali, on Thursday, January 28, said he had been contacted by security officials on the development.
Confirming this, the secretary of the Chibok Parents Association, Lawal Zannah, revealed that he got news of the escape but was yet to ascertain the number.