- President Buhari has chided the service chiefs over the spate of insecurity in Nigeria
- The president said he would no longer tolerate the escalation of security in the country
- Buhari, however, noted that the efforts of the security agencies are not enough
Following the spate of insecurity across the country, President Muhammadu Buhari has finally admitted that the effort of Nigeria’s security chiefs against insurgency is not enough.
The Nation reports that the president made this known in a meeting held with the service chiefs at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Thursday, December 17.
Legit.ng gathered that Buhari bemoaned the abysmal performance of the heads of security agencies in the fight against insurgents in the country.
President Buhari, however, warned heads of security agencies against allowing further descent of the nation’s security, saying he would no longer accept escalation of the security situation in the country.
Speaking with the State House Correspondents after a security briefing between the President and heads of security agencies, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Maj. Gen. Babagana Monguno (Rtd.), said the president had charged managers of the nation’s security to redouble their efforts.
The NSA was accompanied by the director of Defense Intelligence (DDI), AVM Mohammed Sani Usman and the director-general of the Department of State Service (DSS), Alhaji Yusuf Magaji Bichi.
Monguno stressed that the president said, though the security chiefs had been doing their best, it had not been good enough for the challenges facing the nation.
He declared that excuses would no longer be tolerated, asking everyone to justify their appointments into the positions of leadership of the nation’s security architecture.
Munguno further said that Buhari expressed serious concerns over the proliferation of small arms, light weapons and abuse of illicit drugs, which he said had impacted the security situation in the regions gravely.
He also expressed displeasure over the lack of synergy among security forces and charged the various aspects of the security architecture to work together to solve the nation’s security challenges.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the former governor of Ekiti state, Ayodele Fayose reacted to the release of the Kankara schoolboys, saying the development was shrouded in secrecy.
It was reported that Fayose reacted to the Kankara abduction in a series of tweets on his official Twitter handle on Friday, December 18.
He, however, said the "truth will be told someday" as he blamed the abduction and the rising security challenges across the country to acute leadership failure.
How best can President Buhari tackle insecurity | - on Legit TV