- President Buhari has presented N13 trillion as the proposed 2021 budget
- The president identified revenue generation as a major challenge of government
- Buhari urged federal lawmakers to examine revenue sources and expenditure
PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75000 or N38000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng
President Muhammadu Buhari presented the proposed 2021 budget of N13 trillion to the senators and members of the House of Representatives at the National Assembly (NASS) chamber in Abuja on Thursday, October 8.
Legit.ng reports that the Senate president, Ahmed Lawan, had revealed on Wednesday, October 7, that President Buhari would arrive at the floor of the chamber for the presentation of the proposed budget on Thursday, October 8.
Though there have been mixed reactions from Nigerians over the proposed budget but there are vital touched by President Buhari in his presentation to federal lawmakers.
President Buhari emphasised that only federal workers that have been captured by the Integrated Personnel Payroll Information System (IPPIS) platform will continue to receive salaries.
Here are some crucial points made by the president during the budget presentation:
1. Tax expenditure statement for 2021 to be published. It will contain tax exemption, incentives and rebates. It’s the first time the document will be published in the country.
2. Medium Term Development plan 2021-2025 to replace the Economic Recovery and Growth plan 2017-2020.
3. All federal staff not captured under the IPPIS scheme will no longer collect salaries as they will be regarded as ghost workers. Members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) are opposed to the IPPIS platform being used to pay their salaries and have refused to enrol on it.
4. Buhari identifies revenue generation as a major challenge of government. He wants lawmakers to examine revenue sources and expenditure.
5. Over 800 kilometers of roads for construction across the country under the tax rebate and incentive.
6. Ibadan-Kano rail line for completion. Port Harcourt to Maiduguri rail project and Lagos to Calabar rail lines also on the card.
7. Government to establish five Science and Technology Colleges to boost science and technological education.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Senate president Ahmad Lawan sent a crucial message to the presidential aides ahead of the 2021 budget presentation.
It was reported that Lawan said the COVID-19 protocols would be fully observed during the presentation of the 2021 budget by President Buhari.
Lawan said most of the president’s aides, who were not directly involved in the budget process, would not be admitted into the chambers, adding that those who would not be admitted may, however, join the session virtually.
5 years after, Nigerians speak about Buhari's administration | - on Legit TV