COVID-19: Nnamdi Azikiwe varsity hospital records first case

COVID-19: Nnamdi Azikiwe varsity hospital records first case

- The CMD of Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital said it only has one confirmed case of coronavirus

- The patient has been moved to the Anambra state Treatment Centre

- According to the CMD, there was a suspected case who showed some symptoms but sample was not taken before the patient died

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital (NAUTH), Nnewi, has confirmed one case of the coronavirus at the hospital.

This was disclosed on Monday, May 25, by Prof. Anthony Igwegbe, the Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the hospital.

According to NAN report, a test was conducted on the patient upon getting to the hospital and it came back positive.

Igwegbe stated that the test result was released on May 23 and the patient was immediately moved to one of the isolation centres in Anambra state for treatment.

Read also

We may start discharging Covid-19 patients who are yet to recover - FG announces, gives reason

Nnamdi Azikiwe varsity hospital records first case of COVID-19, says CMD
So we have only one confirmed case of COVID-19 in NAUTH so far, Igwebe said.
Source: UGC

The patient, a male trader resident in Onitsha was admitted to the isolation ward following proper triage on his presentation on May 20.

“Specimen for test was taken the following day and sent to Irrua,” he said.

Igwebe further disclosed that a suspect was earlier taken in, but they did not test for the virus before the patient died.

That was a probable case, the patient showed some symptoms but sample was not taken before the patient died," he stated.

According to the CMD, they have only one confirmed case of COVID-19 in NAUTH so far.

He added that all the hospital followed all necessary precautions in handling the patient. He said all those that attended to the confirmed patient used Personal Protection Equipment.

Igwegbe also assured that the hospital would remain vigilant.

Since its outbreak in Nigeria, Anambra has recorded nine cases out of the country' whopping 7,389 COVID-19 cases.

Read also

Commissioner makes crucial announcement on 32-year-old Nigerian who died shortly after evacuation from Dubai

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, the Anambra state government and its Delta state counterpart have erected a gate at the Niger bridge to restrict inter border pedestrian and vehicular movements to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

The gate was erected on Saturday night, May 23, and will shut at irregular intervals to check the movement of people between both states.

COVID-19 Update: Why there are no cases in Kogi, Cross River states | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel