Governor Makinde says he is not impressed with FG’s conditional cash transfer scheme
- The Oyo state governor, Seyi Makinde faults the implementation of the federal government’s conditional cash transfer initiative
- Makinde says he has not been impressed for one day by how the federal government identifies the poorest of the poor
- The governor notes that it is important to ensure that the government gets to the people that require palliatives
The Oyo state governor, Seyi Makinde has stated that he is not impressed with the manner the federal government’s conditional cash transfer initiative is being implemented.
The cash transfer initiative was implemented by the federal governments to the poorest households in the country to cushion the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.
But Governor Makinde in an interview with Fresh FM 105.9, said he is not impressed with how the poor are identified, Vanguard reports.
…But this is a programme that predates this administration and I have never been impressed for one day by how they’ve identified the poorest of the poor and the impact,” he said.
The governor noted that it is important to ensure that the government gets to the people that require those palliatives.
Meanwhile, the federal government has offered clarifications regarding the distribution of the N20,000 palliative to the vulnerable households to cushion the impact of the lockdown necessitated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Guardian reports that the National Cash Transfer Office (NCTO) explained that only one million vulnerable Nigerian households on the National Social Register (NSR) would get the N20,000.
The newspaper adds that the national coordinator of National Social Safety-Nets Coordinating Office (NASSCO), Lonwa Apera, said the cash transfer office had earlier worked with various state governors to develop the national register of poor and vulnerable people in 35 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) besides Ogun state.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Apera explained that the cash transfer that was kicked off by the minister of humanitarian affairs was for existing beneficiaries of the programme, and not every Nigerian. He stated that the cash transfer is currently paying one million poor and vulnerable households but noted that the number will increase to two million in the next payment round in May. Apera added that the government is also using the register to provide food rations to those who are not on the cash transfer but have children of school age.
In another news, President Muhammadu Buhari has approved that the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) release 150 truckloads of rice seized from smugglers to the federal ministry of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development.
This information was disclosed in a tweet from the federal government's Twitter handle on Tuesday, April 7.
Legit.ng gathered that this is part of the government's palliative measures to cushion the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic for Nigerians.
According to the tweet, the rice seized from smugglers would be distributed across the country immediately.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Coronavirus: Staying home for 2weeks is ‘sufferness’ | Legit TV