- The police attribute explosives as the cause of the blast which occurred along the Akure Owo expressway
- The explosion happened after a vehicle transporting explosives to a storage facility in Edo state developed a fault
- The impact of the explosion destroyed no fewer than 100 residential buildings, school, churches in Akure
A statement from the Ondo state police command has attributed explosives as the cause of the blast which occurred along the Akure Owo expressway in Ondo state.
Ondo state commissioner for police, Undie Adie while speaking to newsmen at the scene of the explosion said that the blast which occurred on Saturday, March 28, happened after a vehicle transporting explosives to a storage facility in Edo state developed a mechanical fault, Ondo TV reports.
The police officer explained that when the driver initially noted a fault with the vehicle he tried to park the truck away from houses close to the road. He, however, discovered smoke emanating from the engine, but his effort to put it out was abortive as it was fire instead.
After several failed attempts to put out the fire, the vehicle and the explosives ignited which caused a massive explosion.
Legit.ng previously reported that no fewer than 100 residential buildings, school, churches were destroyed by an explosion suspected to be bomb blast in Akure, the Ondo state capital, on the morning of Saturday, March 28.
It was gathered that the blast which occurred in the early hours cut off the ever-busy Akure /Owo road while many people were said to be injured.
According to the report, the incident which happened less than a kilometre to Akure Airport, affected many residents of Eleyowo community, destroying completely a church and a school in the area.
In other news, Lagosians on social media were on edge following a pipeline explosion that happened around the Abule Ado in Amuwo Odofin local government area.
Many were seen on a popular microblogging platform, Twitter, giving brief recounts of their experiences when the explosion took place.
A lot of Lagos residents claimed that they heard the loud bang which left an impact on their windows, doors and other items in their houses.
Similarly, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos state expressed surprise at the level of destruction caused by the Abule Ado explosion in the Amuwo Odofin area of Lagos.
The governor on Monday, March 16, during an assessment of the scene of the explosion said he had never seen anything like the Abule Ado explosion before
He stated that the scene of the explosion looked like a war zone. The governor who was at the scene along with his deputy, Obafemi Hamzat, said the magnitude of the explosion was huge.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.
Abule Ado fire: Lives lost, houses destroyed in Lagos explosion | - on Legit TV