iPhone Xs Max specs, price, review, all details
iPhone XS Max has been in the market for approximately one year, but it remains a preferred phone for many people. Even though other models of iPhones and other brands of devices are released, it has continued to enjoy considerable prominence. What makes the device stand out and does it make sense to buy it now?
Apple, the technology company, continues to manufacture its distinct phone brand, iPhone, to cater to the needs of people who want high-end phones. The iPhone Xs Max release date was on September, 2018 and it is available in Nigeria for purchase in online and physical stores. For instance, the iPhone Xs Max price on Jumia is between 308,000 Naira and 700,000 Naira.
iPhone Xs Max overview
The iPhone Xs Max is a luxurious phone, but you should not only imagine good things about it because it also has its limitations.
- Excellent camera providing high-quality images.
- Large OLED display giving splendid brightness and sunlight contrast.
- Scratch-resistant glass protection.
- Fast charging with a good battery capacity.
- iOS comes with lots of restrictions.
- No external memory.
iPhone Xs Max specs list
- Announced: September 2018
- Released: September 2018
- Dimensions: 157.5 x 77.4 x 7.7 mm (6.20 x 3.05 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 208 g
- SIM card: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and eSIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Display: Super Retina OLED capacitive touchscreen
- Size: 6.5 inches
- Resolution: 1242 x 2688 pixels
- Operating system: iOS 12, upgradable to iOS 13.2
- Internal memory: 64GB ROM 4GB RAM, or 256GB ROM 4GB RAM, or 512GB ROM 4GB RAM
- Expandable memory: No
- Main camera: 12 MP + 12 MP
- Selfie camera: 7 MP + SL 3D camera
- USB: 2.0, proprietary reversible connector
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, Siri natural language commands, and dictation
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 3174 mAh
- Colors: Space Gray, Silver, and Gold
iPhone Xs Max hardware
The device has a design similar to that of the iPhone X except that it is bigger and heavier. It has a stainless steel frame and glass on both its front and rear sides. The glass type is Corning Gorilla Glass 6, which is durable. Furthermore, the panels are covered with oleophobic coating, preventing smudges and fingerprints.
The front section does not have a bezel, but it has a notch which houses the Face ID feature, speaker and selfie camera. The back section has a camera hump at the top left corner while the Apple logo is at the center.
iPhone Xs Max has one of the largest screen sizes of an iPhone with 6.5 inches, which is approximately 102.9 square centimeters in area. The screen display technology is Super Retina OLED capacitive touchscreen, and it is protected using Corning Gorilla Glass 6. It also has an oleophobic coating as protection from scratch and smudge. The screen resolution is 1242 x 2688 pixels with an aspect ratio of 19.5:9 and 458 ppi pixel density. It has superb sunlight legibility.
The A12 Bionic, 7nm chipset powers this device. The chipset is an improvement of the A11 Bionic, and it can do up to 5 trillion operations every second.
It has a powerful CPU which is hexa-core (2x2.5 GHz Vortex + 4x1.6 GHz Tempest). The processor speed is high and efficient and makes the phone ideal for multitasking and even gaming. For the graphics, it comes with an upgraded Apple GPU (4-core graphics).
The three different versions of iPhone Xs Max all have 4 GB RAM but the ROM size varies between 64 GB, 256 GB and 512 GB. They are all adequate for storing your media files.
The device does not have an external storage allowance. iPhone Xs Max memory options provide sufficient storage capacity and depending on your storage needs, you can choose the most appropriate size of internal storage.
The device has a non-removable Li-Ion 3174 mAh battery, 15W fast charging and Qi wireless charging. iPhone Xs Max battery capacity is quite durable, and it is among the best in iPhones, although the fast charging is a bit outdated and slow.
It can support up to approximately 16 hours of talk time. The battery can power the phone for a considerable period, and that feature makes it suitable for gaming.
Speaker and call quality
The gadget has two speakers; one at the notch, which also doubles as the earpiece and another at the bottom, usually considered the main speaker. The top speaker is almost as powerful as the bottom speaker, and that provides the best call quality. Unfortunately, it does not have a 3.5mm headphone jack.
iPhone Xs Max software
OS and features
This device operates on iOS 12, which is good enough to support various functions of the phone. However, it is upgradable to iOS 13.2, which is the most recent version.
The gadget also has essential sensors such as Face ID, accelerometer, compass, barometer, gyro, proximity and Siri natural language commands and dictation. Other iPhone Xs Max features include Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, NFC and USB.
Camera, video and image quality
The rear camera has a dual system set up with 12 MP (wide) and 12 MP (telephoto) with quad-LED dual-tone flash and HDR. It can take video in either 2160p or 1080p. The front or selfie camera is also a dual system consisting of 7 MP with f/2.2 and SL 3D camera. It can shoot videos in 1080p at 30/60fps. Take a glimpse of a picture taken using iPhone Xs Max rear camera.
The image quality of the pictures taken using iPhone Xs Max camera is incredible. It offers superb rendition, balanced colors and an appealing sharpness.
iPhone Xs Max review
Since the phone was released into the market, iPhone enthusiasts have had the chance to test it and experience its usability. Wondering what they had to say about the phone? Here is a sample of opinions of various users of the iPhone Xs Max from YouTube to help you understand what you should expect from the phone.
- supersonicbird11: Great phone - however guys beware of XL size and difficulty fitting into clothing ! You almost need a messenger bag etc to tote around - and that makes it very easy to loose !!
- U H89: Poor battery performance with 79 h for a flagship... Expecting >100h in 2018/19!
- Ahsan Ullah: iPhones x s max beautiful
- chicken fox: New ip68 rating allows you to submerge it too a deeper water level : COOL Just remember that the warranty does not cover any liquid damage if the seal has eventually fail or malfunctioned : NOT COOL
- Divyansh Singhal: With some necessary accessories (only dongle and charger) iPhone XS Max 512GB costs around 2300 USD in India. That's way too expensive
- Tudo e mais: I'm so regret getting this iPhone X max, this phone doesn’t work properly I can’t make a phone call, the facial id doesn’t work, takes time to show that it’s charging. I’ve called apple and they keep playing with me, by not giving me a solution or refund
For sure, the iPhone Xs Max is an excellent high-end Apple smartphone. It captures the essential requirements of users with its numerous features. It relies on a processor that is fast and suitable for gaming and multitasking. Its large display unit and high screen resolution make it a top priority for gamers and those who love watching videos. The lack of an external memory slot is a step-down if you need a higher storage capacity than that provided by the internal memory.
While the iPhone Xs Max would give you an incredible user experience, the phone is costly, and its price might not be within the reach of a majority of people. If you are not limited to iPhones, you can opt for other brands such as the Huawei P20 Pro and Samsung Galaxy Note 9.