Infinix Mobile has announced its latest smartphone release in the S series, Infinix S5. It runs on Android 9.0 (Pie) with a powerful Octa-core Helio P22 processor. It offers enough storage space with 64GB internal memory and 4GB RAM. The device is a good mid-range device with features that its users will love. What is different about this new device?
The smartphone that was released on October 15, 2019, comes as an upgrade to the Infinix S4 launched earlier this year. Unlike its predecessor, the new smartphone comes with AI Quad camera, a super microlens and a punch-hole notch design.
When will Infinix S5 be out? It was launched in India but has not yet been made available in Nigeria. One can have it shipped when the sale begins. Distribution in Nigeria is expected to begin early next month in both online and offline stores.
Infinix S5 overview
It is crucial for anyone to consider several factors before settling for a certain phone. Here are some of the major upgrades and downgrades of the recently launched Infinix S5:
- The device comes with an elongated 6.6-inch screen display size.
- AI Quad camera for better and clearer images and videos.
- A 32 MP front camera for better selfie experience.
- Availability of a 2MP super macro lens that can capture close photos up to 2.5cm.
- A polished crystal back feather design.
- Features the Dirac Sound Field Widening technology that provides a quality sound system.
- Photos taken under low light are blurry with shallow detail.
- It does not support fast charging.
Infinix S5 specs
The Infinix S5 features and specifications are:
- Release date: October 15, 2019
- Dimensions: 164 x 76 x 7.9 mm (6.46 x 2.99 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 178g (6.28 oz)
- Display size: 6.6 inches, (84.4% screen to body ratio)
- Display type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Display resolution: 720 x 1600 pixels, 20:9 aspect ratio (266 ppi density)
- OS: Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Chipset: Mediatek MT6762 Helio P22 (12nm)
- CPU type: Octa-core
- CPU speed: 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53
- GPU: PowerVR GE8320
- Sim: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual standby)
- Internal memory: 64GB, 4GB RAM
- External memory: MicroSD (Up to 256GB)
- Rear camera(s): 16 MP (wide), 5MP (Ultra-wide), 2MP (Depth sensor), 2MP (super macro lens)
- Rear camera features: Quad-LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Front camera: 32 MP
- Video recording resolution: 1080p @30fps
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- Radio: FM radio
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh
- USB: MicroUSB 2.0
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, hotspot
- Earphone jack: 3.5mm
- Sensors: Fingerprint(rear-mounted), accelerometer, proximity, compass
- Colour: Quetzal Cyan, Violet
- Models: X652
The smartphone comes with the following hardware features:
The design is almost similar to its predecessor with few differentiating features like the punch hole and a taller display. It has a bar design with measurements of 164 mm x 76 mm x 7.9 mm and only weighs 178g. The front comes with a super cinema 2.5D curved glass display with a punch-hole design while the back has a 3D crystal feather glass design.
The 3.5 mm earphone jack, speakers and USB port are all located on the lower side of the phone. The left side has the microSD and SIM slot while the right side holds the volume and power buttons. The fingerprint is ideally located on the appealing shiny back cover. The device comes in only two colours, Quetzal Cyan and Violet.
The Infinix S5 display has been elongated to a screen size of 6.6 inches HD with a 2.5D curved glass display. The device offers a resolution of 720 x 1600 pixels with a 20:9 aspect ratio. The much narrower bezels give the phone an impressive 84.4% body to screen ratio. The screen also comes with 70.2% NTSC and 480 nits brightness that is perfect for use in both light and dark environments.
The IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen has a colour depth of 16M. The waterdrop notch has been featuring in most smartphones, but for this specific device, it has been upgraded to a punch hole.
Processor, storage and performance
The phone runs on a capable Octa-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53 processor. It is inbuilt with the Mediatek MT6762 Helio P22 (12nm) chipset that is quite similar to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 used in most smartphones. The PowerVR GE8320 graphics processor is capable of supporting games with powerful graphics, user interfaces and 3D content comfortably.
How much storage is available? Infinix S5 comes with 64GB internal storage and 4GB RAM. Unfortunately, the RAM is smaller than its predecessor's, which was 6GB. For external memory, there is a dedicated microSD slot expandable up to 256GB.
PUBG gaming works perfectly fine on the phone with no major problems. Other games like Asphalt 9, Clash of Clans and Modern Combat 5 with slightly complex graphics run well on the device. For gamers, this should make you consider purchasing the phone. However, similar to other devices, note that it might heat up when used for long sessions.
Infinix S5 battery capacity
The phone has a 4000 mAh non-removable Li-Po battery. The taller display size might slightly reduce the battery usage time, but the AI Smart Power Management feature will help manage that. With such battery capacity, one can comfortably use the phone up to 32 hours talk time or 60 hours of standby.
The microUSB 2.0 port, however, does not support fast charging, and this could be a downside to the device.
Speaker and call quality
A significant upgrade to the phone is the Dirac Sound Field Widening technology feature. The speaker optimization technology delivers immersive sound with extra-wide soundstage to users when listening to music or watching movies. The device also offers quality voice transmission for making and receiving calls.
You can choose to enjoy music or watch videos on earphones or loudspeakers with no trouble. Note that even with the excellent sound quality, high volumes may cause some discomfort.
The software features of any device ensure that the phone is working well. Check out the key Infinix S5 details:
OS and features
The phone runs on the Android 9.0 version with the Infinix's UI, XO5 5.5. The version comes with new features like call answer gestures, music gestures, and faster fingerprint and face unlock speeds.
Infinix S5 camera, video and image quality
The quality of a camera is another major feature that people look out for in a phone. The video resolution, also, must be top-notch. What are the camera features for this one?
The phone, unlike its predecessor, comes with an AI Quad rear camera set up and 32 MP punch hole selfie camera. There is also a Quad-LED flash, panorama and HDR feature to enhance the quality of images and videos captured.
The first is a 16 MP, f/1.8 (wide) primary camera. It comes with the PDAF (phase-detect autofocus) feature that ensures sharp focus. Photos taken by this camera have an acceptable level of sharpness and clarity, but the colours appear to be saturated. It captures blurry pictures under low light environments with shallow detail.
The other one is a 5 MP ultra-wide-angle camera with a 114-degree field of view. This, however, is a reduced area compared to the 120-degree field of view in the previous phone. Shots taken by this camera are a bit blurry and less detailed but with better colour saturation.
The third is a 2 MP macro lens that is missing in the Infinix S4. The macro lens allows you to capture sharp, detailed and clear photos of small like objects like plants, insects and products up to a distance of up to 2.5cm. The last of the quad setup is a 2 MP depth sensor.
The front camera has a 32 MP AI in-display selfie sensor with Big Pixel technology ( 4-in-1 pixels) and f/2.0 aperture. It is inbuilt in a punch hole that is placed on the far left corner of the screen. It also features the Al 3D Face Beauty mode and takes decent selfie shots.
One can be sure to get quality captured videos as it comes with a resolution of 1080p @30 fps. The combination of the AI Quad camera and video resolution make the device an impressive upgrade to the Infinix S4.
As soon as the news that the phone was to be launched came out, people started doing reviews about the phone. Some have shared their experience and reactions online. Here are some of the comments by YouTube users:
- Suzan Chapagain: Camera looks fantastic at this price segment and a perfect package
- Sweetest Me: It's lovely, It would have been sweeter if it came with an AMOLED display
- Oscar mini: All these phones are the same now
- Olajide Rosh: it's cool, and I'm sure all infinix Android 9 pie will surely receive Android 10 updates.
- ABK ABK: Ahh, Lol am still enjoying my camon but the phone looks nice
- Izzi Boye: Punch hole display. Game changer from Infinix. I'd like to see what then pricing will be, but the display is nice
- Awesome Ajeet: Infinix is really giving good competition in the budget segment to all other smartphones
- Syed Kazimi: Best phone. Waiting for Infinix's flagship devices
- Ameshha D: Wow.. but my only concern here is the processor.. should have given at least P60 instead of P22.
Infinix S5 accessories
When you unbox the smartphone, you will expect it to have the following accessories:
- Charger (power adapter)
- MicroUSB cable
- Sim ejection tool
- Silicon back cover
- A user guide
Infinix S5 where to buy
The phone was launched in India and will be expected in Nigeria early next month. Infinix S5 price is Rs. 8,999 in India or 45,873 Naira in Nigeria.
Generally, the phone is an average one, and the pricing is relatively fair. The AI Quad camera and macro lens are a great addition to the phone, but the other specs are just similar to the Infinix S4. It is best recommended for individuals who require a phone for everyday use with excellent performance.
Infinix S5 is targeted at individuals who like taking clear and detailed pictures. It is a good option for those going for affordability. What do you think about this new device? Is the upgrade worth it?